TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What if Alexander the Great had fought the Romans instead of the Persians?

+3
Redslandian
SamSkey
I Like The Holocaust
7 posters

Go down

Who would have won?

What if Alexander the Great had fought the Romans instead of the Persians? I_vote_lcap84%What if Alexander the Great had fought the Romans instead of the Persians? I_vote_rcap 84% 
[ 27 ]
What if Alexander the Great had fought the Romans instead of the Persians? I_vote_lcap16%What if Alexander the Great had fought the Romans instead of the Persians? I_vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 32

What if Alexander the Great had fought the Romans instead of the Persians? Empty What if Alexander the Great had fought the Romans instead of the Persians?

Post by I Like The Holocaust Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:59 am

What would have happened if Alexander chose to head west to fight the Romans instead of the Achaemenid Empire?

Last edited by I Like The Holocaust on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
I Like The Holocaust
I Like The Holocaust
Centurion

Back to top Go down

What if Alexander the Great had fought the Romans instead of the Persians? Empty Re: What if Alexander the Great had fought the Romans instead of the Persians?

Post by SamSkey Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:28 am

Well due to how small Rome was at the time. I believe Alexander's smarts and war tactics would have probably killed the Romans.
SamSkey
SamSkey
Centurion

Back to top Go down

What if Alexander the Great had fought the Romans instead of the Persians? Empty Re: What if Alexander the Great had fought the Romans instead of the Persians?

Post by Redslandian Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:43 am

Alexander could've conquered both Rome and Persia alike, since Rome was so small and Persia was getting it's ass whooped, maybe Alexander would've got holdings in Asia and Italy.

Redslandian
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by SamSkey Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:44 am

If he didn't die young he could've made one of the biggest empires ever made.
SamSkey
SamSkey
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Redslandian Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:46 am

True.

Redslandian
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by EmperorTigerstar Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:22 am

Macedonia, simply because Rome at that time was not the Rome at the height of its power. No contest.
EmperorTigerstar
EmperorTigerstar
Admin

https://terrahistoria.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Emustrich Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:12 am

After Alexander subdues the rebelling city-states in 335 BCE, he sails his army towards the Greek colonies of Magna Graecia, to prepare for an invasion of the Italian Peninsula. This mirrors Pyrrhus’ invasion from our timeline, but here, the Romans have a strong enemy in the Samnites and the Etruscans are a much more significant threat.

If Alexander plays his cards right, he could take over Samnium, Rome, and the Etruscan cities within a few years. He might also launch a Balkan campaign to link up his Italian territories with his territories in Thrace. By the time of Alexander’s death, the Empire stretches across all of Europe. The Wars of the Diodachi still take place, but they are centered around Europe. Carthage could potentially fill this power vacuum like Rome did, but it would be difficult for a state more interested in money than in conquering new lands.

Emustrich
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey_Shag Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:24 pm

Rome was nothing at that point
Joey_Shag
Joey_Shag
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey_Shag Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:25 pm

like it was legit a speck on the world stage
Joey_Shag
Joey_Shag
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerdovefan34 Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:14 pm

if Alexander invaded rome before conquering persia, yes he surely would've crushed them quite severely (imagine the fall of Kiev to the mongols but x100 times worse for Rome).

If it was after Alexander conquered persia, different story. Alexander's army had only seen the deserts, jungles, and scrublands of the middle east, egypt, and India. They had no real experience fighting on hilly italian terrain.

Rome, however, had time and time again been able to ward off invaders and was currently in the second samnite war. They were both equally battle hardened, but Alexander's men were exhausted and the romans had, just like Hannibal had said, nearly endless Manpower pools to pull from as they had many vassals and allies, all of whom had plenty troops and men to give to the fight. Alexander however, would be far from home, far from supply and in really hostile territory as even the Magna Grecians only wanted Pyrrhus to help because they didn't want Rome to bother them. Because of Rome not being a threat as of right now, they simply refuse to give Alexander any help.

It would a bloody, bloody war and many cities and towns would be burned because of Italian defiance and how Alexander handled Defiance. Perhaps it would be a decade-long, but in the end, Alexander would have no choice but to retreat.

Remember, at this time, Italy wanted no foreign rulers and there were far more fearsome people to fight before Alexander even got close to the romans (the samnites are a major one) by the time he was even near Roman territory, his men would be exhausted of the bloodshed and mutiny.

so really, IMHO, Alexander would've lost against Rome if this was after he conquered Persia, and just barely win (or lose) if it was after he became king.

hope you loved this answer. bye!

Tigerdovefan34
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerdovefan34 Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:16 pm

TFW you necropost and don't even notice it. XD

Tigerdovefan34
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by I Like The Holocaust Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Tigerdovefan34 wrote:TFW you necropost and don't even notice it. XD
I noticed
I Like The Holocaust
I Like The Holocaust
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down