TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Polynesian Sailing

3 posters

Go down

Polynesian Sailing Empty Polynesian Sailing

Post by UltraWorlds Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:18 am

I am quite curious, how exactly did the Polynesians manage to sail long distances in Oceania in the years when even Sumer existed? Also could it mean that if provided enough resources they could've become an advanced civilization?

UltraWorlds
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Polynesian Sailing Empty Re: Polynesian Sailing

Post by EmperorTigerstar Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:36 am

well it's simple. Floating craft is easy to make and currents are always there. With the thousands of islands in the Pacific they were bound to make their way across.
EmperorTigerstar
EmperorTigerstar
Admin

https://terrahistoria.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedphyr Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:30 pm

Polynesians had a system of navigation called wayfinding. It was a practice that involved celestial navigation, knowledge of wind patterns, and oral tradition to keep the practice known and alive. It was incredible advanced for it's time but was fazed out with with more accurate western form of navigation. The process was only really know by people in the higher classes and in Polynesian cultures. The process became almost unknown until some people in Hawai'i tried to keep wayfinding alive by sailing on a traditional Polynesian double canoe, and sailed from Hawai'i to Tahiti only using wayfinding. Now there are books on the subject on the actual process and history on it in order to save that tiny bit of amazing history.
Zedphyr
Zedphyr
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down