African Enslavers

Go down

African Enslavers

Post by King Zog on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:05 am

What do you think about the African Rulers who sold their people into slavery?
avatar
King Zog
Pedes

Posts : 16
Join date : 2017-07-09
Location : Kingdom of Albania

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: African Enslavers

Post by Brusilov on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:21 am

What of them? Everybody sold and bought slaves at some point.
Greeks, Babylonians, Romans, Slavs, Turks and Arabs.
Also, are we talking about the Swahili here?
avatar
Brusilov
Centurion

Posts : 232
Join date : 2017-07-08
Age : 19
Location : Russian Empire

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/MemeExamination/

Back to top Go down

Re: African Enslavers

Post by King Zog on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:45 am

Brusilov wrote:What of them? Everybody sold and bought slaves at some point.
Greeks, Babylonians, Romans, Slavs, Turks and Arabs.
Also, are we talking about the Swahili here?
I mean how people only talk about Europeans who bought them and not about the Africans who sold them.
avatar
King Zog
Pedes

Posts : 16
Join date : 2017-07-09
Location : Kingdom of Albania

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: African Enslavers

Post by Brusilov on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:04 pm

King Zog wrote:
Brusilov wrote:What of them? Everybody sold and bought slaves at some point.
Greeks, Babylonians, Romans, Slavs, Turks and Arabs.
Also, are we talking about the Swahili here?
I mean how people only talk about Europeans who bought them and not about the Africans who sold them.

Well, yeah. You're right. It's just that nobody cares about africans and what they do.
They don't have an impact on the world. Western powers do
avatar
Brusilov
Centurion

Posts : 232
Join date : 2017-07-08
Age : 19
Location : Russian Empire

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/MemeExamination/

Back to top Go down

Re: African Enslavers

Post by HUNDmiau on Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:04 pm

Also the enslavement of blacks by blacks was not motivated by racism (everyone could become an slave) and the empires and economies of africa were not build on the back of slavery and only able to exist through slavery.
I am however not defending it by any means. It's just that their enslavement was not "that bad compared to europeans enslavement" (I am sorry, this sounds really bad)
avatar
HUNDmiau
Cornicen

Posts : 27
Join date : 2017-07-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: African Enslavers

Post by Brusilov on Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:07 pm

HUNDmiau wrote:Also the enslavement of blacks by blacks was not motivated by racism (everyone could become an slave) and the empires and economies of africa were not build on the back of slavery and only able to exist through slavery.
I am however not defending it by any means. It's just that their enslavement was not "that bad compared to europeans enslavement" (I am sorry, this sounds really bad)

Racially motivated or not, it's still slavery.
That's why I think the Stalinist repression was just as bad (if not worse) than the Holocaust.
But that's a topic for another thread
avatar
Brusilov
Centurion

Posts : 232
Join date : 2017-07-08
Age : 19
Location : Russian Empire

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/MemeExamination/

Back to top Go down

Re: African Enslavers

Post by HUNDmiau on Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Indeed it is.

And I agree with you mostly, but I think it is something different if you say people can become slaves because debt, war and so on or because they are brown.
avatar
HUNDmiau
Cornicen

Posts : 27
Join date : 2017-07-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: African Enslavers

Post by The Spiffy Creeper on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:52 pm

I think it was the norm for there society for so long that they really didn't think much about. African Slavery was very different to the Chattel slavery practiced by Europeans in their colonies.
avatar
The Spiffy Creeper
Cornicen

Posts : 37
Join date : 2017-07-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: African Enslavers

Post by CptCrape on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Slavery was a huge trade in that area. It started with the Arabs after the Islamic conquests and later led to the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Slavery was terrible but the governments and slavers benefited, both in Africa and abroad.
avatar
CptCrape
Centurion

Posts : 202
Join date : 2017-07-08
Location : Utah, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: African Enslavers

Post by Brusilov on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:37 am

CptCrape wrote:Slavery was a huge trade in that area. It started with the Arabs after the Islamic conquests and later led to the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Slavery was terrible but the governments and slavers benefited, both in Africa and abroad.

Greeks, romans and carthaginians traded a lot of slaves. It was common practice evrywhere in the world back in the ancient times
avatar
Brusilov
Centurion

Posts : 232
Join date : 2017-07-08
Age : 19
Location : Russian Empire

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/MemeExamination/

Back to top Go down

Re: African Enslavers

Post by CptCrape on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:48 pm

Brusilov wrote:
CptCrape wrote:Slavery was a huge trade in that area. It started with the Arabs after the Islamic conquests and later led to the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Slavery was terrible but the governments and slavers benefited, both in Africa and abroad.

Greeks, romans and carthaginians traded a lot of slaves. It was common practice everywhere in the world back in the ancient times
It's been a big thing for all time, even today, 4% of Mauritania's population is enslaved.
avatar
CptCrape
Centurion

Posts : 202
Join date : 2017-07-08
Location : Utah, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: African Enslavers

Post by ceaserkhan22 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:28 pm

The Barbary pirate slave trade of Africans enslaving Europeans is never discussed or taught in schools. I think the fact that over a million Europeans were enslaved by Africans during the same time that the Atlantic slave trade was going on goes against the narrative that current day revisionists would want to have the public know about. Growing up in school the narrative seemed to be pushed that only white Europeans are capable of wrong doing.
avatar
ceaserkhan22
Centurion

Posts : 147
Join date : 2017-07-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: African Enslavers

Post by CptCrape on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:37 pm

ceaserkhan22 wrote:The Barbary pirate slave trade of Africans enslaving Europeans is never discussed or taught in schools. I think the fact that over a million Europeans were enslaved by Africans during the same time that the Atlantic slave trade was going on goes against the narrative that current day revisionists would want to have the public know about. Growing up in school the narrative seemed to be pushed that only white Europeans are capable of wrong doing.
White-shaming is unfortunately prevalent in Today's school system.
avatar
CptCrape
Centurion

Posts : 202
Join date : 2017-07-08
Location : Utah, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: African Enslavers

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum