What if Italy and Germany were unified in the middle ages?

Go down

What if Italy and Germany were unified in the middle ages?

Post by Luigilime on Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:48 pm

It's interesting to see how Europe could have looked like with big centralised powers that competed with each other since the middle ages. Could this make a world war possible in the middle ages? I thought it would be interesting to discuss about

Luigilime
Pedes

Posts : 3
Join date : 2017-07-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What if Italy and Germany were unified in the middle ages?

Post by CptCrape on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:24 pm

I'm pretty sure they were for a time under the Holy Roman Empire, from 962 to 1559, however their power had waned by the 14th century.
avatar
CptCrape
Centurion

Posts : 202
Join date : 2017-07-08
Location : Utah, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What if Italy and Germany were unified in the middle ages?

Post by Deinos29 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:59 am

Well a world war was imposible, because they hadn't colonies... But maybe a great european war wold have happened.
avatar
Deinos29
Pedes

Posts : 9
Join date : 2017-07-09
Age : 17
Location : Andalusia, Spain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What if Italy and Germany were unified in the middle ages?

Post by The Turk on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Under what monarchy would a united Italy be under in the "middle ages" (however you want to define that era)?

The Turk
Pedes

Posts : 1
Join date : 2017-07-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What if Italy and Germany were unified in the middle ages?

Post by Francinze on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:58 am

CptCrape wrote:I'm pretty sure they were for a time under the Holy Roman Empire, from 962 to 1559, however their power had waned by the 14th century.
1. Italy was not unified under the HRE, it was only the northwest.
2. The HRE was not a unified country, because of its too much feudalism.
avatar
Francinze
Pedes

Posts : 21
Join date : 2017-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What if Italy and Germany were unified in the middle ages?

Post by Francinze on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:00 am

The Turk wrote:Under what monarchy would a united Italy be under in the "middle ages" (however you want to define that era)?
Frederick II of Swabia, he had his capital in Palermo. If he only eradicated the autonomies in North Italy, he could have reigned over the whole peninsula.
avatar
Francinze
Pedes

Posts : 21
Join date : 2017-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What if Italy and Germany were unified in the middle ages?

Post by CptCrape on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:36 pm

Francinze wrote:
CptCrape wrote:I'm pretty sure they were for a time under the Holy Roman Empire, from 962 to 1559, however their power had waned by the 14th century.
1. Italy was not unified under the HRE, it was only the northwest.
2. The HRE was not a unified country, because of its too much feudalism.
The HRE was a United Country for the first couple hundred years, and Italy was under the HRE.
avatar
CptCrape
Centurion

Posts : 202
Join date : 2017-07-08
Location : Utah, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What if Italy and Germany were unified in the middle ages?

Post by Francinze on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:07 pm

CptCrape wrote:
Francinze wrote:
CptCrape wrote:I'm pretty sure they were for a time under the Holy Roman Empire, from 962 to 1559, however their power had waned by the 14th century.
1. Italy was not unified under the HRE, it was only the northwest.
2. The HRE was not a unified country, because of its too much feudalism.
The HRE was a United Country for the first couple hundred years, and Italy was under the HRE.
Apparently united, but the real power was held by the small counties, not by the Emperor.
avatar
Francinze
Pedes

Posts : 21
Join date : 2017-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What if Italy and Germany were unified in the middle ages?

Post by CptCrape on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:36 pm

Francinze wrote:
CptCrape wrote:
Francinze wrote:
CptCrape wrote:I'm pretty sure they were for a time under the Holy Roman Empire, from 962 to 1559, however their power had waned by the 14th century.
1. Italy was not unified under the HRE, it was only the northwest.
2. The HRE was not a unified country, because of its too much feudalism.
The HRE was a United Country for the first couple hundred years, and Italy was under the HRE.
Apparently united, but the real power was held by the small counties, not by the Emperor.
Not for the first couple hundred years. For a while, the emperor held complete control, over time the counties began holding more power. The final nail in the coffin was the expansion of it's members outside the HRE and Nationalism.
avatar
CptCrape
Centurion

Posts : 202
Join date : 2017-07-08
Location : Utah, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What if Italy and Germany were unified in the middle ages?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum