What if the Byzantines won at Manzikert?

Go down

What if the Byzantines won at Manzikert?

Post by HitPoint0213 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:50 am

What do you think the world may look like had Glorious Byzantium won at manzikert
HitPoint0213
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What if the Byzantines won at Manzikert?

Post by rock_hound119 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:09 am

Well I think the Empire would have survived in that case. Anatolia would be Orthodox Christians. The First crusade might not have occured, and the Catholics would have more heavily focused on retaking Hispania from the Moors. I say this specifically as the First Crusade was called because Emperor Alexios Komnenos I asked for the aid of the pope in removing the Turks from Anatolia... The pope after a few victories made the end goal the reclamation of Jerusalem(The original goal of the crusade was to reclaim territory of the Eastern Roman empire - making this a defensive war that eventually became an offensive war) Essentially what I am saying is with the Byzantines winning at Manzikert, what is popularily called "The Crusades" May never have occured or if they had, it would have been much later(after a later Byzantine defeat to Turkish/Arabic forces).

rock_hound119
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorfinn Karlsefni on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:18 am

Excellent break-point from the actual timeline, HitPoint0213! I've wondered this a lot too. It's one of those singular moments when history could go either way, and things might have been a lot different thereafter. Under Basil II, the old Empire dominated its neighbors, including the Caliphate of Baghdad. I agree with rock_hound119, it might very well have survived to this day, and the Crusades might never have been called! If "Byzantium" (I spell it "ROME") had won Manzikert, what might have happened in Italy and Sicily? There the Pope had called in the Normans to give him breathing space from both the Moors and the Orthodox Empire, which held much of southern Italy in the 11th Century.
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Centurion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down