TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which American State has the most interesting history.

+15
DuceMoosolini
EmperorTigerstar
Darth Guilder
Kaiser Ken
Cold War Communist
Johann Tserclaes
CptCrape
The Spiffy Creeper
x24mori
Overload
AHistoryBuff
BasqueHistorian
Crazy Boris
Metsarebuff1222
Bowtie
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which state has the most interesting name.

Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_lcap17%Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_rcap 17% 
[ 6 ]
Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_lcap11%Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 4 ]
Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_lcap14%Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 5 ]
Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_lcap0%Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_lcap3%Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_lcap3%Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_lcap17%Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_rcap 17% 
[ 6 ]
Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_lcap0%Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_lcap32%Which American State has the most interesting history. I_vote_rcap 32% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 36

Which American State has the most interesting history. Empty Which American State has the most interesting history.

Post by Bowtie Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:05 pm

This question and others keep me up at night, like how much wood can a woodchuck chuck, who took that last donut, and why do birds disappear whenever people draw near Question Neutral ,

But seriously I think Texas has a very interesting history,

What do you think?

Last edited by Bowtie on Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bowtie
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Which American State has the most interesting history. Empty Re: Which American State has the most interesting history.

Post by Metsarebuff1222 Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Illinois. You don't pronounce the s
Metsarebuff1222
Metsarebuff1222
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Which American State has the most interesting history. Empty Re: Which American State has the most interesting history.

Post by Bowtie Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:32 pm

You're right Illinois should be one of the 10 options.

Bowtie
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bowtie Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:32 pm

I wish they gave you more than 10 options.

Bowtie
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy Boris Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:18 pm

For me, it's a tossup between Texas and Hawaii, but I'm gonna have to go with the Lone Star State (Sorry, Kamehameha) primarily for the Texan Revolution.

But I wanna say that every state has cool history in it's own way.
Crazy Boris
Crazy Boris
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bowtie Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:29 pm

We are a funny people, we take the country away from the Indians who scalped us, and turn it over to the politicians who skins us.

Bowtie
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by BasqueHistorian Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:13 pm

I think Hawaii had the most interesting history. From the Polynesian sailors and first settlers to nowadays... and of course the Kingdom of Hawaii. But in continental USA, I probably choose California, Texas or Florida, idk.
BasqueHistorian
BasqueHistorian
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Bowtie Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:03 pm

What does the abbreviation IDK stand for. Wink

Bowtie
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bowtie Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:04 pm

BasqueHistorian wrote:I think Hawaii had the most interesting history. From the Polynesian sailors and first settlers to nowadays... and of course the Kingdom of Hawaii. But in continental USA, I probably choose California, Texas or Florida, idk.

Hawaii does have the most original history.

Bowtie
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by AHistoryBuff Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:16 pm

Ohio and Michigan for me.

AHistoryBuff
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Overload Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:04 pm

California has a fascinating Native American cultural history, then a history of Empires wanting land bordering the Pacific. From Spain, to Mexico to the U.S. it is a land of missionaries and Revolution and a place of barren desert and lush forest. In my opinion, it's one of the most fascinating areas in America.
Overload
Overload
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Which American State has the most interesting history. Empty Woo NC

Post by x24mori Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:13 pm

North Carolina is actually pretty cool.

-Squatter's homeland as a colony
-Black Beard's refuge at Salter Path
-Forced to secede from the Union so they wouldn't be totally screwed
-Tobacco land fun times
-Greensboro Sit ins
-Conservative hell hole for a while
-Became a new home for tech
-Almost shot itself in the mouth with HB2
-Shot itself in the mouth with gerrymandering
-Forth Bragg's significance

I am biased cause I like my state, hate it's government
x24mori
x24mori
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by The Spiffy Creeper Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:15 pm

I am a whore for some sweet Massachusetts history. They got them Transcendentalists. And Paul Revere. And Shop and Stop.
The Spiffy Creeper
The Spiffy Creeper
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by CptCrape Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:37 pm

I might be biased (I live in Utah), but Utah's history is pretty damn interesting.

Anyways, to start, the Mormons that would eventually settle Utah had suffered massacres and forced migrations for a long time causing them to flee New York and Ohio and settling in Missouri. In Missouri many Missourians were angry at them being there, mainly because of the practice of Polygamy, but also because they voted together, and were attempting to convert the Native Americans. This anger culminated in the 1838 "Mormon War" and the Mormon Extermination Order. After that they fled to Nauvoo, Illinois and lived there until Joseph Smith was assassinated. After a series of raids and massacres the Mormons left to Utah in 1846, still controlled by Mexico at the time, but soon to fall into American hands two years later.

The resulting 55,000 Mormon Pioneers leaving was the largest single migration in US History. After they arrived in Utah in 1847, they quickly set up towns and colonized north and South through the valleys. The US Government denied initial statehood attempts and instead created the Utah Territory in 1851. Brigham Young was appointed the Leader. After being appointed, Brigham Young set up the "Theodemocratic" government that Joseph Smith had originally proposed. This, along with the Practice of Polygamy in the area caused anger in the Washington D.C. Eventually the US government sent 2,500 Soldiers to the Utah territory to secure it and more importantly, replace Brigham Young with a Non-Mormon leader. This resulted in the 1857-1858 "Utah War". At first, the Soldiers secured themselves in a fort and threatened to bombard Salt Lake City if the Mormons did not comply. After that, the War was small and mostly fought in Skirmishes across Utah, Idaho and Wyoming. Eventually, 38 US soldiers died and an unknown number of Mormons died. The most notable event of this war is the still controversial Mountain Meadows Massacre, where Mormon and Native Militiamen ambushed and killed 120-140 American Settlers heading to Oregon. It was never determined if Brigham Young had anything to do with the massacre, but 9 were inevitably sentenced and one of which, John D. Lee, faced punishment...by a firing squad.

After the Utah War, President Buchanan successfully replaced Brigham Young with a Non-Mormon Democrat from Georgia (Alfred Cumming). Utah would never again have a church leader as a governor. There was lots of tension for years after the war but this would inevitably be alleviated in 1890 when the Mormons banned Polygamy. In 1896, nearly 50 years after the initial settlement of Utah, it would be admitted into the Union. Today, Mormons and Utahns in general are highly patriotic despite the troubled relations in the past.

I know this is a long post, but I honestly feel that these events in US history rarely, if ever get touched on.
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy Boris Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:47 pm

CptCrape wrote:I might be biased (I live in Utah), but Utah's history is pretty damn interesting.

Anyways, to start, the Mormons that would eventually settle Utah had suffered massacres and forced migrations for a long time causing them to flee New York and Ohio and settling in Missouri. In Missouri many Missourians were angry at them being there, mainly because of the practice of Polygamy, but also because they voted together, and were attempting to convert the Native Americans. This anger culminated in the 1838 "Mormon War" and the Mormon Extermination Order. After that they fled to Nauvoo, Illinois and lived there until Joseph Smith was assassinated. After a series of raids and massacres the Mormons left to Utah in 1846, still controlled by Mexico at the time, but soon to fall into American hands two years later.

The resulting 55,000 Mormon Pioneers leaving was the largest single migration in US History. After they arrived in Utah in 1847, they quickly set up towns and colonized north and South through the valleys. The US Government denied initial statehood attempts and instead created the Utah Territory in 1851. Brigham Young was appointed the Leader. After being appointed, Brigham Young set up the "Theodemocratic" government that Joseph Smith had originally proposed. This, along with the Practice of Polygamy in the area caused anger in the Washington D.C. Eventually the US government sent 2,500 Soldiers to the Utah territory to secure it and more importantly, replace Brigham Young with a Non-Mormon leader. This resulted in the 1857-1858 "Utah War". At first, the Soldiers secured themselves in a fort and threatened to bombard Salt Lake City if the Mormons did not comply. After that, the War was small and mostly fought in Skirmishes across Utah, Idaho and Wyoming. Eventually, 38 US soldiers died and an unknown number of Mormons died. The most notable event of this war is the still controversial Mountain Meadows Massacre, where Mormon and Native Militiamen ambushed and killed 120-140 American Settlers heading to Oregon. It was never determined if Brigham Young had anything to do with the massacre, but 9 were inevitably sentenced and one of which, John D. Lee, faced punishment...by a firing squad.

After the Utah War, President Buchanan successfully replaced Brigham Young with a Non-Mormon Democrat from Georgia (Alfred Cumming). Utah would never again have a church leader as a governor. There was lots of tension for years after the war but this would inevitably be alleviated in 1890 when the Mormons banned Polygamy. In 1896, nearly 50 years after the initial settlement of Utah, it would be admitted into the Union. Today, Mormons and Utahns in general are highly patriotic despite the troubled relations in the past.

I know this is a long post, but I honestly feel that these events in US history rarely, if ever get touched on.

Quality post right here, Utah is probably one of my top 5 most interesting states for history. A bit disappointed you didn't mention the State of Deseret and their cool alphabet, though. Mormon history in general is super fascinating.
Crazy Boris
Crazy Boris
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by CptCrape Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:55 pm

Crazy Boris wrote:
CptCrape wrote:I might be biased (I live in Utah), but Utah's history is pretty damn interesting.

Quality post right here, Utah is probably one of my top 5 most interesting states for history. A bit disappointed you didn't mention the State of Deseret and their cool alphabet, though. Mormon history in general is super fascinating.

I definitely know about the Deseret Alphabet (just look at my profile picture) and I did briefly skim over it (I called it a language, which it kind of was, in literary form). I was going to mention Deseret, but I felt I couldn't fit it into such a short synopsis of Utah (and Mormon) history. There were also other things I didn't mention such as the Building, concealing and rebuilding of the SL Temple and the 1844 Mormon Succession Crisis. And don't forget fundamentalism, Mormon colonies in Mexico, and the time Joseph Smith ran for President!

I am immensely proud to be a Utahn and to have had ancestors that crossed the plains.
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Johann Tserclaes Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:34 pm

Illinois because Abraham Lincoln
Johann Tserclaes
Johann Tserclaes
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bowtie Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:10 pm

Next time I make such a list I will add Illinois.

Bowtie
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:16 pm

I selected "other". South Carolina and Virginia both have pretty unique and interesting histories. SC is your typical rebel and Virginia was home to many influential Americans, as well as the location for many major events in American history.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaiser Ken Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:18 pm

I think Ohio is fairly overlooked. The equivalent of a World War between two major Superpowers was fought over our tiny bit o' land. Post revolution tho it's pretty boring.
Kaiser Ken
Kaiser Ken
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by CptCrape Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:12 pm

Kaiser Ken wrote:I think Ohio is fairly overlooked. The equivalent of a World War between two major Superpowers was fought over our tiny bit o' land. Post revolution tho it's pretty boring.
I wouldn't call a world war where the only casualty was one random guy who got stabbed.
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Guilder Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Most of the states have some interesting history if you look into it. Illinois used to be under French control and at one point Virginia claimed it, and Vermont was once independent.
Darth Guilder
Darth Guilder
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by EmperorTigerstar Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:41 am

Hawaii, as Kamehameha I is awesome. Also, I moved this thread to the proper location.
EmperorTigerstar
EmperorTigerstar
Admin

https://terrahistoria.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DuceMoosolini Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Not to seem biased or anything, but...

Bleeding Kansas, anyone?
DuceMoosolini
DuceMoosolini
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bowtie Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Which State do you believe has the most interesting name.

Bowtie
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next