What area of history do you wish you knew more about?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What area of history do you wish you knew more about?

Post by Cold War Communist on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:53 pm

Hey all.

So the title of this topic doesn't convey the full breadth of my question. What I am really trying to get at is what area of history you feel you lack a certain level of proficiency or knowledge base in? Most people (taking a shot in the dark here) would probably say they are pretty good with the history of their country of origin, and perhaps of the history of their continent of origin, but beyond that I don't know that people feel confident in other realms.

For me, I feel woefully inadequate in the history of South and Central America, as well as Asian History. Those are two areas that I would like to have a greater depth of understanding for, what are some of yours?
Cold War Communist
Centurion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What area of history do you wish you knew more about?

Post by Crazy Boris on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:10 pm

India, a huge part of the world with a ton of history, and yet I'm pretty much in the dark about 90% of it. I'm familiar with the Mauryas and Mughals, and a little bit of the Raj and modern India, but that's about it.

Crazy Boris
Centurion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malotun on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:33 pm

This might sound funny(or see) but I would really like to learn more about the political history(with this I mean learn who were the rulers in each period and what changes they made) of my country, yeah I know the general stuff like wars, civil wars and other conflicts, but I barely know with detail what did happen in my country... yeah SHAME on me.
But also I would like to learn more about the modern history of Europe I don't really know much about it, maybe just something about the WWII, the Balkans, some civil wars and that's it nothing else, my problem is that I'm quite lazy and it's hard for me to go deep in some topic so... I'm kind of fucked up.
I'm mostly centered between the ancient times and the high middle ages, I mean, again I know like the the general stuff.

Yeah I'm being humble
Laughing
Malotun
Optio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:42 pm

Malotun wrote:This might sound funny(or see) but I would really like to learn more about the political history(with this I mean learn who were the rulers in each period and what changes they made) of my country, yeah I know the general stuff like wars, civil wars and other conflicts, but I barely know with detail what did happen in my country.

Honestly, I don't know a great deal about the Civil War in my country, either. I'm American by birth, but I've never had any sort of interest in that particular topic. I have the basics, I have some names, I have the dates down and that's about it.

I'm mostly centered between the ancient times and the high middle ages, I mean, again I know like the the general stuff.

Now there is a topic that I am interested in. I read about it mostly for writing purposes, and to be blunt I always thought of it as boring. The idea of forts, swords, and stone being the foundation for every other building really turned me off, but recently I have discovered the beauty of polyphonic choirs (which came about due to my interest in the Hapsburg Dynasty) that grew out of what is now Belgian territory in the 1500s, and I have a new appreciation for the growth of culture during that time as well. So perhaps my knowledge of that period will improve. Very Happy
Cold War Communist
Centurion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malotun on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Cold War Communist wrote:Honestly, I don't know a great deal about the Civil War in my country, either. I'm American by birth, but I've never had any sort of interest in that particular topic. I have the basics, I have some names, I have the dates down and that's about it.

Well at least it seems that I'm not so fucked haha maybe it's normal for some new amateurs like me  Embarassed

I have discovered the beauty of polyphonic choirs (which came about due to my interest in the Hapsburg Dynasty) that grew out of what is now Belgian territory in the 1500s, and I have a new appreciation for the growth of culture during that time as well. So perhaps my knowledge of that period will improve. Very Happy

Yeah, this is an interesting thing, I mean sometimes you want to know some normal thing on which you don't expect too much and suddenly with that comes a new entire world of knowledge, It did happen to me researching about my last names which are obviously from Spain, but I had no Idea that were Visigoths and that surprised me quite years ago and now I'm here researching and learning about the ancient times. OOh history it's beautiful!
Malotun
Optio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Johann Tserclaes on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:43 pm

Probably South-East Asia and Indonesia. Before European colonization, I pretty much have no idea what was going on there.
Johann Tserclaes
Cornicen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ColonelPants on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Not sure what the definition of the "Middle East" is, but Anatolia, Arabia, and Persia. The sort of area. All sorts of cool things that I've just never searched before... brb.
ColonelPants
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanwickert on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:47 am

Johann Tserclaes wrote:Probably South-East Asia and Indonesia. Before European colonization, I pretty much have no idea what was going on there.
Yep, same
jeanwickert
Cornicen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishanth128 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:48 am

India. It's why I picked up History and it's what I learnt the least about.
Nishanth128
Cornicen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Spiffy Creeper on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:53 pm

I wish I knew more about the Pre-Columbian Americas. Not saying that I now nothing just that there is so little written information left. I wish I could go back in time and just look at what it was like in their cultures. Of course we might have more records if the Ultra Zealot Spanish didn't colonize Meso-America first and destroy most of that stuff.
The Spiffy Creeper
Cornicen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hatshepsut on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:25 pm

To be quite honest, I really don't know much about Polynesian, Central Asian, or Central American History, though I would love to learn about it if I had the time.
Hatshepsut
Cornicen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DukeOfTea on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:40 pm

I know very little about but am very intrigued by pre-colonial South East Asia (Yes I know Siam was never colonised).
DukeOfTea
Cornicen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:34 pm

How about regions or time periods that you have some basis in that you look to improve upon?

Currently, I have a small foundation in the Middle East and specifically the history of Iraq, but little else. I have a pretty strong foundation in early to Medieval Russian history that I want to turn into an expertise.
Cold War Communist
Centurion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy Boris on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:46 pm

Cold War Communist wrote:How about regions or time periods that you have some basis in that you look to improve upon?

Currently, I have a small foundation in the Middle East and specifically the history of Iraq, but little else. I have a pretty strong foundation in early to Medieval Russian history that I want to turn into an expertise.

Korea and Central America.
Crazy Boris
Centurion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by _Dewey on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:32 pm

I'm starting to get interested in the bronze age, mainly due to Dan Carlin and the Bronze Age Collapse episodes from Extra Credits. Also the years that make up the Napoleonic Wars.
_Dewey
Cornicen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Königreich Preußen on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:09 am

Asia in general, was never taught much about it, except for learning about treaty ports and concessions in China, probably focus on India though.
Königreich Preußen
Cornicen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianWashington on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:48 am

I would like to learn about Europes history, probably first crusade until now. Before that isn't very interesting to me unless the creation of France and England were before that. I would like to learn about the beginning of the spark in which created wars and alliances throughout the history of France and England ex: WW2 where they were strong allies/ Colonization time where they were worst enemies with the whole Napoleon thing.
CanadianWashington
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigMacArthur on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:56 pm

I would like to learn more about Japan. Japan before the Mejii restoration was insane.

And no Bill Wurst did not help.
BigMacArthur
Optio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top