TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thailand and Ethiopia holding off European colonialism

+6
DavidlVofGeorgia
Hatshepsut
Malotun
Ariestat 1666
Winston Churchill
ceaserkhan22
10 posters

Go down

Which hold out to European colonialism was more impressive, Thailand or Ethiopia?

Thailand and Ethiopia holding off European colonialism I_vote_lcap11%Thailand and Ethiopia holding off European colonialism I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 2 ]
Thailand and Ethiopia holding off European colonialism I_vote_lcap89%Thailand and Ethiopia holding off European colonialism I_vote_rcap 89% 
[ 17 ]

Total Votes : 19

Thailand and Ethiopia holding off European colonialism Empty Thailand and Ethiopia holding off European colonialism

Post by ceaserkhan22 Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:19 pm

In the late 19th century all of both South East Asia and Africa were conquered or set up and influenced by european powers except Thailand and Ethiopia. In SE Asia Thailand was completely surrounded by British, French, and Dutch colonies while in Africa, Ethiopia was surrounded by British, French, and Italian colonies. With the exception of Liberia (set up by an outside power) the Thai and Ethiopians were the only ones to stave off European colonialism in their respective regions until WW2. Which hold out was more impressive?
ceaserkhan22
ceaserkhan22
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Thailand and Ethiopia holding off European colonialism Empty Re: Thailand and Ethiopia holding off European colonialism

Post by Winston Churchill Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:16 pm

(whispers) They never got Ethiopia...

(whispers) They never got Thailand...
Winston Churchill
Winston Churchill
Centurion

https://www.winstonchurchill.org

Back to top Go down

Thailand and Ethiopia holding off European colonialism Empty Re: Thailand and Ethiopia holding off European colonialism

Post by Ariestat 1666 Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:00 am

I'll go for Ethiopia because the colonies let Thailand exist as a buffer state between French and British colonies

Ariestat 1666
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Malotun Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:28 am

I will vote for the Reches AKA mapuches, they fought almost 300 hundred years against the Spanish conquistadors and won... kind of, at least the Spaniards didn't get the Araucania and Patagonia.
Malotun
Malotun
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Hatshepsut Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:00 am

I'm going to say Ethiopia, because they were a badass Empire in their own right (at least until the communist), and they've been in the game since the days of the Aksum Empire in 100 CE.

Show me a history of a country that resisted colonialism by European powers better than that. Don't worry, I'll wait
Hatshepsut
Hatshepsut
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidlVofGeorgia Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Tibet was never conquered.
DavidlVofGeorgia
DavidlVofGeorgia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Trolldemort Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:20 pm

Technically, China and Japan were never colonized (at least not completely) either

If including them, I would say Japan did the best at avoiding European colonialism, because they ended up becoming a colonizing power as well
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Voytek Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:02 pm

I would say Ethiopia. Siam itself had 1/3 of it's territory taken away and was controlled by the French, British and later Japanese though I think both should be disqualified for getting rid of their respective cool animals off their flags. The lion was especially cool =/
Voytek
Voytek
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by EmperorTigerstar Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:43 am

Ethiopia, because their growth as an empire was happening at the same time as the Scramble for Africa. The fact they defeated Italy and made deals of borders and peace with Britain and France to secure their independence is very impressive. Thailand ultimately had to cede several territories to the British and French and overall got lucky.
EmperorTigerstar
EmperorTigerstar
Admin

https://terrahistoria.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Malotun wrote:I will vote for the Reches AKA mapuches, they fought almost 300 hundred years against the Spanish conquistadors and won... kind of, at least the Spaniards didn't get the Araucania and Patagonia.

But they lost, and they are still getting colonized.
Dittatore_Signore_Massimo
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Malotun Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:15 pm

They lost against Chile and Argentina... with Spain we can call it a draw haha

PS: Considering that... Ethiopia really deserve the vote, since they still exist as a sovereign nation Laughing
Malotun
Malotun
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:22 pm

Malotun wrote:They lost against Chile and Argentina... with Spain we can call it a draw haha

PS: Considering that... Ethiopia really deserve the vote, since they still exist as a sovereign nation Laughing

True, i also voted for Ethiopia since they managed to beat Italy. But i would have voted for Afghanistan, since they managed to beat both Russia and the UK.
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down