[ 22 ]
7% 7% 
[ 8 ]
5% 5% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 107

Most Interesting Front of World War I

Post by EmperorTigerstar on Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:50 pm

Which front of World War I is your favorite to learn about or see a documentary over?

For me it's actually the Ottoman front.
EmperorTigerstar
Admin

View user profile http://terrahistoria.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Most Interesting Front of World War I

Post by The Last Savoyard on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:31 pm

The Balkans Front is interesting because we never hear anything about it, even if this front has revealed to be an important one.

The Last Savoyard
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Spiffy Creeper on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:01 pm

I think the African front would be an interesting one to learn about. Not many people realize that there even was a front in Africa and I think a documentary about Von Lettow-Vorbeck and his prolonged guerilla war in German East Africa and later Portuguese Mozambique would be a very interesting documentary to watch.
The Spiffy Creeper
Cornicen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EmperorTigerstar on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:04 pm

The Last Savoyard wrote:The Balkans Front is interesting because we never hear anything about it, even if this front has revealed to be an important one.

Yeah I agree the Balkans fronts is not talked about enough compared to the other fronts.
EmperorTigerstar
Admin

View user profile http://terrahistoria.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by firemac on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:09 pm

The Last Savoyard wrote:The Balkans Front is interesting because we never hear anything about it, even if this front has revealed to be an important one.
I agree since it's really interesting and how Ottomans fighting Greeks and A-H against Serbia and stuff.
firemac
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SamSkey on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:12 pm

I've just started to learn about the Southern Front, so right now it will have to be the Southern Front.
SamSkey
Centurion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsAGiraffe on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Unpopular opinion, but I'm going to go with the African theater.  It may not have been the most active, or nearly the most vital, but I've always found it interesting how the already frightening levels of local unrest in the area were manipulated by both sides to destabilize the other (Germany working with the Boers, the Ottomans supporting rebels in Italian Libya, etc).  The small scale of most of the operations also gets this feeling of adventure and personalness between the enemy commanders and the enemy troops.  The tactics were also, even if compared to the Western Front, comically ridiculous.
ItsAGiraffe
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GeorgeIVofBritannia on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:42 pm

For me the Western front is the most interesting. It's just it is.
GeorgeIVofBritannia
Centurion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexander I (Abraxis) on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:47 pm

To me, the Balkan Front seems to be the most interesting one, because Serbia got capitulated, the Gallipoli Campaign happened, Bulgarian fortifications, Romania/Greece joining the Allies, etc.
Alexander I (Abraxis)
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus the Great on Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:11 pm

I believe the Ottoman is front is the most interesting because it shows a totally different side to World War 1 than portrayed in media.
Cyrus the Great
Pedes

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperHerobrine3

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenin on Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:49 pm

The Western front is the most interesting. The Ottoman front was also very interesting with things like T.E. Lawrence/The Arab revolt, the Russian-Ottoman front in the Caucasus and the invasion of Gallipoli. But in my opinion Western front had more interesting events like the Christmas truce, the race to the sea, the German spring offensive, etc.
Lenin
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Conquerer1234 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:02 pm

I honestly do think the African Front is the most interesting front of the Great War, because it isn't covered at all in modern media. Sure, we know about the Western Front, and the Eastern. Lawrence of Arabia popularized the Middle East. Although there is almost nothing about Africa. I get it may be because the Entente were taking German Colonies one by one, but von Lettow-Vorbeck is important in German East Africa for resisting until the end of the War. (and trust me it is hard to win in Africa as Germany in Darkest Hour (really off-topic), although I have actually annexed South Africa once which was really strange)
Also the various other campaigns such as the Maritz Rebellion and the Somalialand Campaign that very few people know about.
Conquerer1234
Centurion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CompactMold409 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:38 pm

EmperorTigerstar wrote:Which front of World War I is your favorite to learn about or see a documentary over?

For me, it's actually the Ottoman front.
I would say the Western Front because it's the front that turned the tide of the war when the French and British troops were exhausted and tired the New United States troops came in and replaced them and thus full the Germany back

CompactMold409
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zek64 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:03 pm

Don't get all the hype about the Western Front. Everyone literally just sat there for like 4 years, exchanging land by the nanometer. The Middle Eastern fronts were definitely interesting to read about and has had far reaching impact into today.
Zek64
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy Boris on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:12 pm

A tough question, since they're all fascinating in their own way, but I'll have to say the African front. I never get tired of reading about Lettow-Vorbeck and his campaign in the East.
Crazy Boris
Centurion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Königreich Preußen on Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:56 pm

I'm gonna have to say Eastern Front, I can't seem to explain why
Königreich Preußen
Cornicen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SHAM00E on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:29 am

If we are going to talk about WW1 you must link to THE GREAT WAR! https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar
SHAM00E
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SamSkey on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:31 am

YES I LOVE THAT YOUTUBE CHANNEL
SamSkey
Centurion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Loins, Jungles, and Steamboats: The African Front!

Post by Kaiser Wilhelm II on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:37 am

Are you kidding, sure there was a ton of action on the major fronts, but by far the most interesting is the African front. German forces clashed with French, British, and Belgain troops as soon as the war began in the summer 1914 and till basicaly the end. Since the armies in Africa are much smaller and operated on such a massive continent, some of the battles that take place are certainly interesting and in some cases borderline halarious. The Germans in their Eastern colony constantly out-maneuvering the British, and the British trying to take town after town and seigeing down Germans when both sides don't have any artillery or field guns. The stories of the soilders and commanders throughout the war are a lot more personalized, and much more intense when both sides have not a clue where the other side is, and with no long distance communication. It seems that so far away from Europe, the soilders who fought probably realized how ridiculous the war was, engaging the enemy in isolated jungles and swamps.

If you are interested in stories from this front, I recommend Giles Foden's Mimi and Toutou's Big Adventure: The Bizare Battle of Lake Tanganyika. Its arguably one of the most hilarious armed engagements in all of world history, and really shows what the African Theatre was all about.
Kaiser Wilhelm II
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EmperorRanceTheDragonHear on Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:59 am

The Italian front for sure, the whole front was mountains with suicidal charges, my great grand farther fought for Italy on that front, my dad told me about one of his story's were him and a German soldier were behind a tree the German shot the bark, it nearly blinded him he said, "when he looked to see I was dead and then I for the German bastard".

EmperorRanceTheDragonHear
Centurion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Koopinator on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:21 am

For me it would be the African theatre. There are not that many Hannibals or napoleons in the world war era, But if i had to choose one, It would be Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck. He held off 300k Allied troops with 15k Germans troops. That's something like in the battle of watling street. Sure, He lost in the end, But it's still impressive.
Koopinator
Optio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Colliwobblez on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:56 am

I have to say the Western Front for me is the most interesting. Attempting to conjure in my head the conditions of battles such as Verdun and Passchendaele is a source of neverending intrigue just because of how they were never recreated again. I understand that the Second World War saw higher casualties than the First but there were hardly ever times when whole armies were forced to stay in the same location for months whilst still fighting ferocious battles with artillery, gas and machine guns to very little avail. Such battles were mostly seen in the West, probably because only the great powers of Germany, France and Great Britain had the staying power to fight them.

Colliwobblez
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leonverbakel on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:23 am

The eastern front for me. The glorious German victory at Tannenberg, the almost holy Tsar with giant armies made of vast ethnicities. And above all of that the romantic idea of a revolution by the proletariat, that made a never truly invaded nation come to its knees...

Leonverbakel
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PremiumMeteor on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:47 am

I`d say western front because its more talked, have more information about it and in my opinion is more interesting.
PremiumMeteor
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaiser Antonio I on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:46 pm

I say the Western front:

1. Most nations involved[It was needed the army of UK,France,USA,Commonwealth,Colonies over all the world etc... to stop the German Empire ! And add a two-front war, internal pressure, economic collapse and 4 years of war exausthion !].

2. The trenches [Self-Explanatory].

3. Basically the decider of the war.
Kaiser Antonio I
Pedes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top