TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Russian history thread and questions

4 posters

Go down

Russian history thread and questions Empty Russian history thread and questions

Post by DavidlVofGeorgia Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Thread for Russian history:

What is the difference between an Oblast, an Okrug, a Republic, and a Krai?

How do Russian elections work with so many timezones? Someone in in Kaliningrad would be asleep when the first votes come in from Vladivostok. Wouldn't that change people's votes?

Isn't it ironic how both the Russians (from the west) and Americans (from the east) kept stealing land from indigenous people until they ran into each other at the pacific ocean?

Do Republics work similar to Indian reservations?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Russia#/media/File:Ethnic_map_of_Russia_2010.png

As far as I know Oblasts have overwhelming Russian populations, Republic's had large indigenous (mainly Turkic) populations when they were made but don't anymore. Krai means border land or frontier. Someone who understands Russia, please help!
DavidlVofGeorgia
DavidlVofGeorgia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Russian history thread and questions Empty Re: Russian history thread and questions

Post by Koopinator Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:39 pm

When did the Russian republic end? With the October revolution or with the final defeat of the white army?
Koopinator
Koopinator
Optio

Back to top Go down

Russian history thread and questions Empty Re: Russian history thread and questions

Post by DavidlVofGeorgia Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:03 pm

There was never a Russian republic. There are 22 republics currently in Russia. Oh nevermind, you don't know anymore than I do.
DavidlVofGeorgia
DavidlVofGeorgia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy Boris Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:14 pm

Koopinator wrote:When did the Russian republic end? With the October revolution or with the final defeat of the white army?

I would consider it with the October Revolution myself, since that pushed Kerensky out of power.
Crazy Boris
Crazy Boris
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Holmskiy Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:24 am

Okrug is just a part of an oblast. Autonomous okrugs are basically okrugs with high concentration of natives, living a traditional lifestyle. They are given a position equal to other federal subjects.

They have their own budget, can stand for themselves in court and make additions to a school curriculum. But they are still technically a part of an oblast, so autonomous okrug's laws can't contradict the laws of said oblast.

Also, unlike regular okrugs, autonomous okrugs can either secede from the oblast they are a part of or become a regular okrug. They can host a referendum on these things whenever they want.

I know it's really confusing and I could have got terminology mixed up somewhere, so please point out any inconsistencies my answer has and I'll try to fix it.

Also, krais and oblasts are the same in all but name.
Holmskiy
Holmskiy
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidlVofGeorgia Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:42 pm

^ Thank you.
DavidlVofGeorgia
DavidlVofGeorgia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down