TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

German Loss of Land/Ethnic Cleansing

+2
Cold War Communist
Historyislove
6 posters

Go down

German Loss of Land/Ethnic Cleansing Empty German Loss of Land/Ethnic Cleansing

Post by CptCrape Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:53 am

Between 1918-1945 Germany lost a lot of Land, 1/3 to be exact. These lands were historically inhabited and owned by Germans, until the World Wars. Especially after WW2, the Germans lost a lot of land. 15 Million+ Germans were forcefully removed from their homes or killed by the Soviets and forced to move to the new German states of East and West Germany. Historic German cities like Konigsberg, Stettin, Danzig, Breslau, Elbing, Oppeln, Allenstein and more were emptied of their German populations and destroyed to make way for ugly Soviet Apartments and Factories. This has demoralized Modern Germany and is a contributing factor to it's consistently low birth rate and willingness to open itself to anyone who wants in. The Holocaust was terrible, but an eye for an eye makes the world go blind.

German loss of land:
German Loss of Land/Ethnic Cleansing 1280px-Germanborders.svg

Germans Before 1945 and After:
German Loss of Land/Ethnic Cleansing 3b1489c1ab8c347f57a50b2cf29a74a8
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

German Loss of Land/Ethnic Cleansing Empty Re: German Loss of Land/Ethnic Cleansing

Post by Historyislove Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:23 pm

That's sad but we can't change it. Should we invade Poland and say all poles should leave historical German land? Then we wouldn't be better than the soviets in 1945. I think we should think European. Every European civilization has now its own country no matter if it's founded on its historical territory. A unification of Germany and Austria and the German unity is complete (for me). I think we should cooperate with our European neighbors instead of fighting them about territorial differences

Historyislove
Pedes

Back to top Go down

German Loss of Land/Ethnic Cleansing Empty Re: German Loss of Land/Ethnic Cleansing

Post by CptCrape Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:27 pm

Historyislove wrote:That's sad but we can't change it. Should we invade Poland and say all poles should leave historical German land? Then we wouldn't be better than the soviets in 1945. I think we should think European. Every European civilization has now its own country no matter if it's founded on its historical territory. A unification of Germany and Austria and the German unity is complete (for me). I think we should cooperate with our European neighbors instead of fighting them about territorial differences
I'm not saying that it should be returned, it's a little too late for that, I'm just here to talk about it.
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Historyislove Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:42 pm

Well my grandparents are from east Prussia, Silesia and Sudetenland and had to leave their home. It was quite a hard time they had to live in a barn for the first years and had to help the farmers. They nearly lost everything. One of my ancestors had a noodle factory in Silesia, another one a conditionary in Sudetenland and another one a big hotel in east prussia. They all started at 0. sadly one of my grandparents wasn't able to finnish school because of WW2 and had to work hard to get his family fed

Historyislove
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:02 pm

Interestingly enough:

German Loss of Land/Ethnic Cleansing Poland-Voting-Pre-War-Germany-Map-2

The lands are still pretty divided. Yes, this image was from a while ago but the borders that the election matches are roughly 140 years old, so...
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by CptCrape Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:16 am

Cold War Communist wrote:Interestingly enough:

German Loss of Land/Ethnic Cleansing Poland-Voting-Pre-War-Germany-Map-2

The lands are still pretty divided. Yes, this image was from a while ago but the borders that the election matches are roughly 140 years old, so...
I remember seeing that on Reddit a while ago, might have something to do with the fact that those lands were repopulated by the Poles kicked out of Belarus, Lithuania and Ukraine. Or it is just a coincidence.
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:56 am

That's a very old coincidence to see, haha. It goes back to what you were saying about a loss of land. They may not be "ethnically" German, but it appears that culturally, ideologically, the divide has not gone away.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by CptCrape Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:27 am

Cold War Communist wrote:That's a very old coincidence to see, haha. It goes back to what you were saying about a loss of land. They may not be "ethnically" German, but it appears that culturally, ideologically, the divide has not gone away.
That's why I figured that it may be their history that makes them vote like that. Generally, it seems when a people group are uprooted, they tend to vote together and stick together. This happened in Germany, when the refugees came in they started Organisations and generally voted in a block. (At least from what I remember, it's been a while).
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Adolf Francolini Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:15 pm

It was definitely unfortunate. Not that anything can or should be done now, though. The reality of the situation is that the Germans were conquered twice, and their lands and peoples replaced by Poles, and others. Nowadays the people in former East Prussia are largely Polish, their culture is Polish, and their lands are under Polish jurisdiction, and so they have become Polish by right. But, we can remember.
Adolf Francolini
Adolf Francolini
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by mayexplains Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:53 pm

The Holocaust was unfortunate but history would never talk about how Poles were killing ethnic Germans prior to WW2, especially being that used to be German lands.
mayexplains
mayexplains
Pedes

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74AlH7-Fr6ylDvMJ2g3mBg

Back to top Go down

Post by fischyk Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:00 pm

The German refugee problem post-WWII was the biggest refugee crisis until the current Syrian crisis. My Opa wrote his master's paper on the topic, can be found here
fischyk
fischyk
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down