TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battles in history

2 posters

Go down

Battles in history Empty Battles in history

Post by Francinze Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:37 am

Honestly, when I first have a look at, let's say, the battle of Hadrianopolis (378), and then I look at the battle of Stalingrad (1942-3), I immediately come up with this question: how did the concept of "battle" evolve throughout history, from a 10-hours-lasting battle (Hadrianopolis) to a 3-month one?
Francinze
Francinze
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Battles in history Empty Re: Battles in history

Post by Mr Trolldemort Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:59 pm

I think the definition of a "battle" for most historical analyses is that it as a (relatively) constant and violent conflict between 2 or more groups occurring in a particular area. Wars in Ancient times up to the Early modern era were fought between armies in fields near places, and unless they were sieges would end relatively quickly since the armies would fight head on. However, wars began changing as it was no longer strategic or practical to fight in fields in the open, and large cities became more and more important. Not only that, but the citizens who originally were rarely affected by battles were now in the front lines, and had no choice but to help or run away when it originally only professional soldiers and mercenaries who were in the battle. So essentially, battles have become closer to sieges which meant people fought on for much longer than they used to.
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down