TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Puerto Rico

3 posters

Go down

What would you like to see happen with Puerto Rico?

Puerto Rico I_vote_lcap0%Puerto Rico I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Puerto Rico I_vote_lcap22%Puerto Rico I_vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]
Puerto Rico I_vote_lcap78%Puerto Rico I_vote_rcap 78% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 9

Puerto Rico Empty Puerto Rico

Post by ceaserkhan22 Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:33 am

What would you like to see happen geopolitically with Puerto Rico in the future?
ceaserkhan22
ceaserkhan22
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Puerto Rico Empty Re: Puerto Rico

Post by Thorfinn Karlsefni Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:18 pm

I really don't understand why more Puerto Ricans don't want to be an independent country. I know there is a terror group dedicated to forcing the issue, but the idea has never seemed to gain any popular suppport. Among the old Spanish colonies the US acquired in 1898, they're kindof the opposite of Cuba or the Philippines that way. Maybe more like Guam. Guam (and the Marianas as a whole) would be another interesting one.
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Yamamoto Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Puerto Rico has struggled to keep it's head above water in the modern world, a struggling economy set back by a debt crisis, an island in the cross-hairs of almost every major Atlantic hurricane, and simply put, a small island that does not have the infrastructure to support it's citizens on the same level that they do as a territory of the US. The best option for the people of Puerto Rico, who are US Citizens, is to fully join the union. They'll be brought more thoroughly into the federal system and receive more funding from the government.
An argument can be made for self-determination, the Puerto Rican peoples have a unique culture to that of the United States and other Latin American nations. However, the culture of America is quickly shifting towards a culture more similar to that of their Latin American counterparts. The common language of the US is quickly becoming a hybrid of Spanish and English in many of the southern states and will continue to do so across the nation. Puerto Rico will very soon be less of a cultural outlier in American society and closer to the norm.
Overall I think that Puerto Rico can only gain from joining the Union, and risk becoming a backwater by moving towards independence. Either way, I think most people can agree, the status quo will only hurt the people of Puerto Rico. Of course, I say all of this from an outside perspective, I'm not Puerto Rican and have never been there, I only know what I do of them from what I've read. I am interested on inside opinion from someone who is Puerto Rican though, maybe there's more support for an independent Puerto Rico than I know.
Yamamoto
Yamamoto
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum