TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good things that the British did in India

+5
SamSkey
EmperorTigerstar
CptCrape
GeorgeIVofBritannia
sanathkamath24
9 posters

Go down

Good things that the British did in India Empty Good things that the British did in India

Post by sanathkamath24 Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:41 pm

There are obviously many things that the British did to screw up India. What I want to know is, are there any good things they did?

sanathkamath24
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Good things that the British did in India Empty Re: Good things that the British did in India

Post by GeorgeIVofBritannia Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:13 pm

Abolished really fucked up things Indians did that would be considered barbaric and inhumane in our times. Abolished slavery.
GeorgeIVofBritannia
GeorgeIVofBritannia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Good things that the British did in India Empty Re: Good things that the British did in India

Post by CptCrape Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:08 pm

RAILWAYS
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by EmperorTigerstar Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:33 pm

Railways, toilet paper, and that's probably about it.
EmperorTigerstar
EmperorTigerstar
Admin

https://terrahistoria.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SamSkey Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:16 am

Railways. I'm talking about Railways
SamSkey
SamSkey
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Königreich Preußen Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:21 am

Railways
Königreich Preußen
Königreich Preußen
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by SamSkey Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:22 am

I think the Railways were very important.
SamSkey
SamSkey
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by CptCrape Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:37 am

EmperorTigerstar wrote:Railways, toilet paper, and that's probably about it.

>toilet paper
>india
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by sanathkamath24 Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:36 pm

GeorgeIVofBritannia wrote:Abolished really fucked up things Indians did that would be considered barbaric and inhumane in our times. Abolished slavery.
. But didn't they take some of the Indians and take them to different countries as slaves?

sanathkamath24
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Aarambh Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:45 pm

Good things that the British did in India GDP_per_capita_of_India_%281820_to_present%29
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_India

Other than stagnating India's GDP, I can't think of much. The railways argument is flawed. Iran built their first railway lines by themselves in 1887. I don't see how India couldn't do so.

Aarambh
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by CptCrape Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:01 pm

sanathkamath24 wrote:
GeorgeIVofBritannia wrote:Abolished really fucked up things Indians did that would be considered barbaric and inhumane in our times. Abolished slavery.
. But didn't they take some of the Indians and take them to different countries as slaves?
*Indentured Servants, or in other words, extremely low paid workers.
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Spiffy Creeper Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:43 pm

The British banned the practice of Sati which is a practice where a widow immolates or basically sacrifices herself by jumping into her dead husbands funeral pyre. That seems like a pretty good thing they did.
The Spiffy Creeper
The Spiffy Creeper
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by Aarambh Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:37 am

I agree with The Spiffy Creeper. The banning of sati was very important. It was completely banned by 1861 and before that various British and Hindu reformers were campaigning against it. In comparison, it was only banned in Nepal in 1920. There were only 30 cases of sati in India between 1943-1987 and most of these involved women erratically jumping into the funeral pyre themselves.

Aarambh
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishanth128 Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:20 pm

I wish I could give a clear answer but I'm a little lacking when it comes to this.

Railways are the first to come to mind. And while we were restricted from using it while a dominion, I certainly won't deny the good they did. Problem is, we could have had those without having to be a colony and probably had Indians not be restricted to it too. So, I'm not sure how much of this counts as the British doing some "good". It's not like we wouldn't have had it without them.

Toilet paper, someone said. I'll just skip this. They left a lot of India too poor and uneducated for those people to ever use proper sanitation. Also, toilet paper? Ew. Bidets please.

Abolition of Sati. Definitely.

Also went against the Caste system. Kinda. They also damaged India with it so it's up to you how you see it. The Caste system was once legal when they sought to benefit from it. Brahmins and Kshatriyas benefited from this when the British afforded these castes with better jobs and pay. Imo, this could have played a role in making the caste system worse than it was, and that's saying something.

Biggest contribution? India as a single entity. Even the British didn't believe that India would survive as a single nation. No one did. That idea was around until the 70's if I'm not mistaken. But kudos, Britain. You managed to do it.
Nishanth128
Nishanth128
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by CptCrape Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:21 am

Nishanth128 wrote:I wish I could give a clear answer but I'm a little lacking when it comes to this.

Railways are the first to come to mind. And while we were restricted from using it while a dominion, I certainly won't deny the good they did. Problem is, we could have had those without having to be a colony and probably had Indians not be restricted to it too. So, I'm not sure how much of this counts as the British doing some "good". It's not like we wouldn't have had it without them.

Toilet paper, someone said. I'll just skip this. They left a lot of India too poor and uneducated for those people to ever use proper sanitation. Also, toilet paper? Ew. Bidets please.

Also went against the Caste system. Kinda. They also damaged India with it so it's up to you how you see it. The Caste system was once legal when they sought to benefit from it. Brahmins and Kshatriyas benefited from this when the British afforded these castes with better jobs and pay. Imo, this could have played a role in making the caste system worse than it was, and that's saying something.

Biggest contribution? India as a single entity. Even the British didn't believe that India would survive as a single nation. No one did. That idea was around until the 70's if I'm not mistaken. But kudos, Britain. You managed to do it.

I was joking when I said toilet paper. I was referring to the "Designated Shitting Streets" meme
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishanth128 Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 am

CptCrape wrote:
Nishanth128 wrote:I wish I could give a clear answer but I'm a little lacking when it comes to this.

I was joking when I said toilet paper. I was referring to the "Designated Shitting Streets" meme
Oh, I know. Hence the bidets part. They're truly amazing, you know?
Nishanth128
Nishanth128
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishanth128 Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:40 am

CptCrape wrote:
sanathkamath24 wrote:
I met a guy whose grandparents were "indentured servants"

He called them what it truly was. Slaves. Putting a different label did not stop them from taking away those rights at all.
Nishanth128
Nishanth128
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by CptCrape Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Nishanth128 wrote:
CptCrape wrote:
sanathkamath24 wrote:

He called them what it truly was. Slaves. Putting a different label did not stop them from taking away those rights at all.
IIRC, Indentured Servants were paid, just not very much.
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishanth128 Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:00 pm

CptCrape wrote:
Nishanth128 wrote:
CptCrape wrote:
sanathkamath24 wrote:

Money they couldn't use. This is very similar to the work camps in India where people were treated like the Nazis treated Jews in concentration camps. They technically "paid" these people but that does not make the treatment any better.
Nishanth128
Nishanth128
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by CptCrape Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Nishanth128 wrote:
CptCrape wrote:
Nishanth128 wrote:
CptCrape wrote:
sanathkamath24 wrote:

Money they couldn't use. This is very similar to the work camps in India where people were treated like the Nazis treated Jews in concentration camps. They technically "paid" these people but that does not make the treatment any better.
Also, I forgot to mention indentured servants were contracted, so they only worked 5 years or so, and they would eventually earn the right to reside in the area they worked for free. So, I wouldn't exactly call them slaves, but they were close. Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_indenture_system
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down