TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Operation Valkyrie

2 posters

Go down

What would be the result of a successful July 20th bombing?

Operation Valkyrie I_vote_lcap20%Operation Valkyrie I_vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]
Operation Valkyrie I_vote_lcap40%Operation Valkyrie I_vote_rcap 40% 
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 5

Operation Valkyrie Empty Operation Valkyrie

Post by Kim Jong-un Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:55 am

What if the assassination attempt had succeeded in killing Adolf Hitler in his Wolf's Lair on July 20, 1944?
Would Operation Valkyrie have succeeded?
Would Nazi loyalists present an organized resistance?
Would the Allied Powers be willing to negotiate a peace with the new government?
Could ending the war in the West and redeploying all of the armies in the East have saved Germany from total defeat at the hands of the Red Army?
Discuss.
Kim Jong-un
Kim Jong-un
Optio

Back to top Go down

Operation Valkyrie Empty Re: Operation Valkyrie

Post by Thorfinn Karlsefni Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:02 pm

No matter who emerged the victor in the power struggle that would have ensued, I think the war would have ended in 1944. The Soviets, Americans and British were not going to be pried apart by any offer Germany could present to anyone by then. The three main enemies of the Axis had pledged their commitment to total surrender at the Tehran Conference in November of 1943. The regular army would not have known how to react, who to support, whether to keep fighting or march back to Germany. It would have been an immediate debacle for Germany's military prospects.

Before Tehran, I think it would have been possible for a hypothetical post-Hitler German government to get a separate peace with Stalin by convincing him that the West had secretly entered negotiations with them to join the fight against Soviet Communism in exchange for withdrawal of German occupation forces from Western Europe. So... set the assassination 12 months earlier, in the middle of the Battle of Kursk, then have the new government (NSDAP or other) try to trick Stalin into a cease-fire. Yep. That would have worked. Germany would have gotten the first Atomic Bombs dropped on them for their trouble and surrendered in August of 1945.
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Centurion

Back to top Go down