TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Music is Terrible

+8
CptCrape
Cold War Communist
Mr Trolldemort
DukeOfTea
jeanwickert
GeorgeIVofBritannia
Crazy Boris
Metsarebuff1222
12 posters

Go down

New Music is Terrible Empty New Music is Terrible

Post by Metsarebuff1222 Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Seriously new music has no talent. As a musician, listening to some autotuned hack singing about kicking some bitch from her club isn't good. The instrumentals consist of a drum machine and like two cords. Compare these two song Lyrics

First let me hop out the motherfucking Porsche
I don't want her if that ass don't sit like a horse
I be balling on these people got me feeling like sports
Dash got so much wood I could build me a fort
Ain't too many things I ain't done yet
Nasty Freestyle by Lil Wayne

"There must be some kind of way out of here, "
Said the joker to the thief,
"There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief.
Business men – they drink my wine
Plowmen dig my earth
None of them along the line
Know what any of it is worth."
All along the Watch Tower by Bob Dylan
Metsarebuff1222
Metsarebuff1222
Pedes

Back to top Go down

New Music is Terrible Empty Re: New Music is Terrible

Post by Crazy Boris Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:42 pm

Starting this off with the obligatory "music is subjective", yadda yadda, on to the actual thing,

So here's the thing, there's always been bad music, but we only remember the good stuff. I'm sure there's a ton of crap music from the 60s nobody remembers because we're always remembering the Rolling Stones and the Beatles.

There's a reason people like Bob Dylan, or Elvis, or Jimi Hendrix are still popular today, because they were great, but at the same time, for every Dylan, Presley, and Hendrix, there's probably a solid dozen terrible flash-in-the-pan musicians who may have been a big deal back then, but were largely forgotten in around a decade or two.

Music today might seem bad by comparison to that of the past, but that's only because we're remembering all the best music of the 90s, the 80s, the 70s, and so forth. I'm sure if you were to go back in time to 1974 and waltz into a record store, you'd find just as much stuff you dislike as stuff you like.

And, although I am in agreement with you that Lil Wayne isn't great music, his success is by no means an indication that all music today is of that caliber. Alestorm put out a new album, No Grave but the Sea, a few months back, and it's pretty solid stuff, as have Dragonforce and Jonathan Coulton.

So, in the end, it's not that music today is objectively worse than music of the past, it's just that you're only noticing the stuff you hate, and at the same time, overlooking the bad stuff of the past.

Now, an argument could be made that bad stuff is more popular these days than it would have been in the past, but that could very well just be that popular opinion is turning in favor of stuff you dislike, which, hate to say, is unavoidable.
Crazy Boris
Crazy Boris
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Metsarebuff1222 Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:21 am

You are right, but I was comparing the music that was POPULAR. There was definitely a bunch of crap in the 60s/70s and there are some great bands now ( Im still a big Coldplay and Maroon 5 fan) but I was comparing how people's look on music has changed. I compared two songs that were famous in their respected year. That's the problem now, there are very talented people trying things from older genres like phsycodelic rock, but people like Beyonce and Lil Wayne just make the same shitty song over and over again and overshadow people trying new things. And that's what I hate about music today. In the past, bands like Pink Floyd experimented and created new musical ideas, but now the only people trying cool things are cast in the shadows and it really turns people off new concepts. And that is happening in other media's too. I can't remember the last time COD tried something new. The message today is sadly, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sure the popularity is broke, but the enjoyablity is.
Metsarebuff1222
Metsarebuff1222
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by GeorgeIVofBritannia Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:40 am

You're wrong. It's just an opinion. It's not a fact. Get over it.
GeorgeIVofBritannia
GeorgeIVofBritannia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Metsarebuff1222 Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:42 am

Yes, it is an opinion, MY OPINION. If you like Lil Wayne and Beyonce, fine by you, but I was just pointing out my opinion.
Metsarebuff1222
Metsarebuff1222
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanwickert Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:08 am

Watch some videos of "Become The Knight" on Youtube. There's my contribution.
jeanwickert
jeanwickert
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by GeorgeIVofBritannia Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Metsarebuff1222 wrote:Yes, it is an opinion, MY OPINION. If you like Lil Wayne and Beyonce, fine by you, but I was just pointing out my opinion.

Actually no I don't like them. I prefer music not made by modern day celebrities. xd
GeorgeIVofBritannia
GeorgeIVofBritannia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by DukeOfTea Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:31 pm

There's always good music out there, you just have to search for it more. Admittedly you may prefer the popular music of a few decades ago, but there was many people from those generations who complained about "music these days".
DukeOfTea
DukeOfTea
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by Metsarebuff1222 Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Funny thing is I'm 14
Metsarebuff1222
Metsarebuff1222
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Trolldemort Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Its a never ending cycle. People in the late 1700s were complaining about the WALTZ for being too fast and controversial. Now lets move into the 1800s with the Polka. Now people thought that was too "uncultured" because it is based off peasant dances in Central Europe (out of all places, right?). Then, jazz came out, which caused a huge uproar in the early 1900s, because it was based off traditional African beats and ruining music. Then rock n' roll came out aka the devil's music which was also controversial for the same reasons and lack of structure and its vulgarity. Then we got the 60s and it's "hippie" music, 70s rock and metal ruining kids and being a bad influence, 90s and 2000s (i remember people complaining about how terrible green day is even though they're one of my favourite punk bands) and now current music.

We'll see what people say about today's music 20 years from now. Until then, I'll wait for what new kind of music is so "terrible"
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by DukeOfTea Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:23 pm

@Mr Trolldemort
What's the big appeal of Green Days music compared to other punk bands of the same time? they just seem so lackluster to me compared to other Punk bands like DK, Sex Pistols, Ramones, etc.
Could you recommend me any specific songs which might change my opinion on the matter?
DukeOfTea
DukeOfTea
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by Metsarebuff1222 Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:24 pm

The only way it could get worse after this is if the music literally burst your eardrums
Metsarebuff1222
Metsarebuff1222
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by DukeOfTea Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Metsarebuff1222 wrote:The only way it could get worse after this is if the music literally burst your eardrums
Hasn't that already been done?
Edit: I'm not being scathingly sarcastic or anything, I'm referring to intentional Ear bleeding genres like Noise
DukeOfTea
DukeOfTea
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Trolldemort Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:13 pm

DukeOfTea wrote:@Mr Trolldemort
What's the big appeal of Green Days music compared to other punk bands of the same time? they just seem so lackluster to me compared to other Punk bands like DK, Sex Pistols, Ramones, etc.
Could you recommend me any specific songs which might change my opinion on the matter?

I was referring more to back in the peak of their popularity (circa 2003 when American Idiot first came out) they and many other bands were often considered be pretty terrible outside of their specific genre of music. I used to not really like them too much either, but I've developed more of an interest in their songs (especially their older songs) as time went by. Personally what I like about them is that their song style is quite different between songs between the really fast songs (like american idiot, basket case, maria, etc) to more slower songs (boulevard of broken dreams, wake me up when September ends). They manage to add a more modern (ish) twist to older punk bands like the ramones imo

I can't really recommend any songs for you since I'm not sure what kind of songs you listen to but my personal favorites are american idiot and holiday.

Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:35 pm

The trends that are appearing in music are contributing to it getting, in relative terms, worse.

It's not like there was never bad music, or that people never bothered to try to clean up and toy with the sound of a musician before...but it seems all too common now and gimmicky. I've been to concerts and the whole idea is for the music to be the show, not for the show to include music (but it appears the latter is more common).

It also seems true that much of the music that "we" grew up on is being phased out for a new generation of artists to produce their own sound, and for new technology to have influence, both of which are agents of change: change is something people are averse to.

I guess to summarize this I would say that music is changing and people are getting less out of live performances/the way we consume music has begun to change. Thus what we want from music, how we're getting it, and what is being produced are no longer matching up as well as they once did.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Metsarebuff1222 Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:46 pm

I'm only 14 going on 15, so my mom got me into old rock. But you are right. Someday once I'm 40something I'll think of the good old days when Coldplay and Ed Sheeran were around. I guess music is changing and I need to accept it. People accepted when artists like Chuck Berry (who just died in March) created new genres. Rappers are the new rock stars. I guess the lyrics in songs are a reflection of how pop culture has changed.
Metsarebuff1222
Metsarebuff1222
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by CptCrape Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Let me just say E N G L A N D I S M Y C I T Y, that's how I feel about a lot of Modern Music.
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by EmperorTigerstar Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:48 am

Metsarebuff1222 wrote:Seriously new music has no talent. As a musician, listening to some autotuned hack singing about kicking some bitch from her club isn't good. The instrumentals consist of a drum machine and like two cords. Compare these two song Lyrics

First let me hop out the motherfucking Porsche
I don't want her if that ass don't sit like a horse
I be balling on these people got me feeling like sports
Dash got so much wood I could build me a fort
Ain't too many things I ain't done yet
Nasty Freestyle by Lil Wayne

"There must be some kind of way out of here, "
Said the joker to the thief,
"There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief.
Business men – they drink my wine
Plowmen dig my earth
None of them along the line
Know what any of it is worth."
All along the Watch Tower by Bob Dylan

Firstly, that first one is T-Wayne, not Lil Wayne.

For talented musicians, they're there but you have to look a bit more. In the mainstream, I'd say Bruno, The Weeknd, and Kendrick Lamar are really talented. The rest suck. For outside the mainstream, again they're there but a bit harder to find.
EmperorTigerstar
EmperorTigerstar
Admin

https://terrahistoria.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cobius Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:07 pm

Though I don't hate the music of my generation, I would agree that a large percent of it is a poorly done remake of the hit before it. Autotune has made it very difficult to figure out what is human talent and what is computer talent. It means that all you need to become popular is to sing and edit whatever you made until It's not even you anymore. Also, did anyone notice that there hasn't been a hit slow song in years? Nobody listens to them anymore, and that is very sad to me. Personally, I think Stevie Nicks is the greatest artist ever.

Cobius
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by _Dewey Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:45 pm

The popular stuff right now is pretty bland and all, but if you actually look for what you like you're sure to find it. For example, I have 934 songs saved on Spotify and maybe 10 of them are popular by todays standards. Like 2 Heads by Eric Coleman. Plus there's always been terrible music through the ages, it's just today that bad side has kind of been more prominent and mainstream.
_Dewey
_Dewey
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidlVofGeorgia Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Rap is terrible and can't be saved. Pop is cringy as hell. Modern country is ear bleeding. The top 100 charts are pure CANCER and I avoid it at all costs. I am 19.

Modern musicians I like: Blues Saraceno, Nick Nolan, Eric Church

But seriously, check out sea shanties.
DavidlVofGeorgia
DavidlVofGeorgia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down