TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies

4 posters

Go down

Do you agree with me and if not what would you pick?

Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies I_vote_lcap14%Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies I_vote_lcap21%Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies I_vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies I_vote_lcap7%Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies I_vote_lcap7%Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies I_vote_lcap14%Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies I_vote_lcap0%Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 14

Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies Empty Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies

Post by DavSpunkyYoung Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:40 pm

I have been asked a few times what country I would live in (as a middle class man), in the year 1700 and onwards. I have always said France, as they have always seemed pretty lenient. I find this especially profound in the french colonies which seem relatively  lawless (especially if you live outside of a big city). But hey what do I know, I have barely studied this point in history, much less the state of the countries in it. Tell me what you think and why. I believe the study everyday life of history gets overshadowed by war and conquest, while I think there is a lot to be learned and enjoyed about the more peaceful aspects of history.

DavSpunkyYoung
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies Empty Re: Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies

Post by Cold War Communist Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:54 pm

I said "no" and voted Austria. My reasoning is this: France in the 18th century was not on the up and up. Yes, they were a cultural force, but about halfway through, the country would suffer an agonizing string of military defeats and the national debt would balloon. Most people would never know even a modest standard of living and would struggle to get by.

It is easy to forget that the French Revolution did not take place suddenly and without warning, but was the result of a large buildup of angst, frustration, and suffering by the French people over a long period of time. If you lived in Austria at this time, your country would be moving up in prestige, status, and standing. Sure, you'd be walked over by Napoleon, but at the end of that situation Austria was the second most powerful nation in Europe and was a diplomatic, economic, and cultural super power by every standard. So...yeah.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies Empty Re: Life in 1700 Europe and American Colonies

Post by Bowtie Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:55 pm

Without a Shadow of Doubt I would live in one of the 13 colonies in America.

Bowtie
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by EmperorRanceTheDragonHear Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:59 am

I would say England, all the resources you would have from the different parts of the empire, second would be Italy.

EmperorRanceTheDragonHear
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by DavSpunkyYoung Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:42 pm

Cold War Communist wrote:I said "no" and voted Austria. My reasoning is this: France in the 18th century was not on the up and up. Yes, they were a cultural force, but about halfway through, the country would suffer an agonizing string of military defeats and the national debt would balloon. Most people would never know even a modest standard of living and would struggle to get by.

It is easy to forget that the French Revolution did not take place suddenly and without warning, but was the result of a large buildup of angst, frustration, and suffering by the French people over a long period of time. If you lived in Austria at this time, your country would be moving up in prestige, status, and standing. Sure, you'd be walked over by Napoleon, but at the end of that situation Austria was the second most powerful nation in Europe and was a diplomatic, economic, and cultural super power by every standard. So...yeah.

That is a important point. I had always thought the French revolution never really got a foundation until they entered the American revolution. I would however like to know why you chose Austria? This was the rise of Austrian brutality no, as it secured it's position in the balkans?

DavSpunkyYoung
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:05 am

There was brutality throughout the world and always will be. Despite this, Austria was beginning to crest and would reach a peak of power by the end of the napoleonic wars. If I lived in Austria at the end of the 18th century, I would see my homeland reach a cultural, diplomatic, economic, and military peak by the time I died. It would be awe inspiring, so I couldn't imagine a better place during that era.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down