TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What If Byzantium Was Restored?

4 posters

Go down

What If Byzantium Was Restored? Empty What If Byzantium Was Restored?

Post by Joey_Shag Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:47 pm

In the Greco-Turkish war Greece unsuccessfully tried to retake Constantinople.What if this were successful and Greece took back Constantinople from turkey?
Joey_Shag
Joey_Shag
Pedes

Back to top Go down

What If Byzantium Was Restored? Empty Re: What If Byzantium Was Restored?

Post by Captain Magma Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Joey_Shag wrote:In the Greco-Turkish war Greece unsuccessfully tried to retake Constantinople.What if this were successful and Greece took back Constantinople from turkey?

Greece might have joined the Axis if it meant taking Anatolia to bring back the Empire due to Italy also having a "I'm the new Rome" complex at this time.
Captain Magma
Captain Magma
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by MarioPol Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:23 am

I would guess that there would be an increased feeling of national pride amongst the populace resulting in a more Jingoistic attitude by Greece. Although, I think it would be unlikely for Greece to continue fighting Turkey, as winning the war would result in the annexation of the coast of Asia Minor by Greece. The driving ideology of Greece at that time was the "Μεγάλη Ιδέα"(Megali Idea), which was basically the quest for integration of territories with sizeable ethnic Greek populations, and since the last remaining Greeks in Turkey/Ottoman Empire(I don't know what it was at that time)lived there, there was no motive to continue. Keeping that in mind, I would presume that Greece would either 1) join the Allies as she would want to integrate parts of Bulgaria and more importantly parts of southern Albania into her or 2)Increase tensions in the Balkans potentially kickstarting a 3rd Balkan war.

EDIT: Byzantium would most likely not be restored

Edit 2: Spelling

Last edited by MarioPol on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

MarioPol
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Trolldemort Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:24 pm

It would probably mean Greece would be a much more powerful country than it is now (Constantinople/Istanbul is one of the most prosperous cities in Europe today). It would also lead to much resentment from Turkey much more than today, but they wouldn't be strong enough to fight back with the loss of their former capital. I don't think they would restore the byzantine empire, but it would lead to a huge prestige gain.

I doubt they would join the axis, since they already got what they wanted. If anything, Turkey would be even more likely to join the axis (they were neutral historically) to get back what is theirs which would push greece towards the allies. Besides that, I think it would mean Turkey would side with the USSR during the cold war, which would create a larger Iron Curtain. The Cyprus issue might also become more favorable to Greece, maybe even joining it in later on. So yeah, I think Greece would be much stronger had they succeeded in the Megali Idea than in our timeline.
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down