TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which great empire of history would be considered the "greatest"?

+33
The Capitalist Pig
Cold War Communist
DavidlVofGeorgia
Malotun
Onward Painter X
Visigoth
scraplet1
Colliwobblez
Federico the Great
Samsid
TheSaxonKnight
Brusilov
mrcsn20125
Calorean
Seleukos Nikator
Königreich Preußen
Cyrus the Great
AlexanderTheDank
NobodyBeatsTheTamilKings
Lenin
321gman
GeorgeIVofBritannia
brandedelemental
Amerats
EmperorTigerstar
Dinotrakker
Big_Appa
The Spiffy Creeper
hthompson
firemac
yo8088
filipinoHistorian
Legionnaire
37 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Which great empire of history would be considered the "greatest"? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which great empire of history would be considered the "greatest"?

Post by Samsid Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:21 am

No love for the Ottomans? Yes they fell apart, but their empire, especially in the 16th-17th century was arguably on of the greatest in the world.
Samsid
Samsid
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Which great empire of history would be considered the "greatest"? - Page 2 Empty Rome

Post by Federico the Great Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:03 am

The Roman Empire was the greatest and wealthiest empire ever to exist and a thousand years went by until civilization reached the level it had in times of Rome.

Last edited by Federico the Great on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Federico the Great
Federico the Great
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Which great empire of history would be considered the "greatest"? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which great empire of history would be considered the "greatest"?

Post by Colliwobblez Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:39 am

Could be a bit of a weird one but could you argue Russia? The Tsars referred to their state as the Russian 'Empire' and being the largest state on earth surely could count towards 'greatness'. The influence of this empire on history is still being felt now with Russian revolution and communist/cold war fallout. Not necessarily an empire as it's usually thought of but could be an interesting idea.

Colliwobblez
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinotrakker Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:40 am

I didn't say it would be the greatest, just that I found it interesting.
Dinotrakker
Dinotrakker
Cornicen

http://FutureofHumanity.wikia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:27 am

The Roman Empire as they basically took a bunch of barbarians and created Europe.

Back to top Go down

Post by scraplet1 Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:25 pm

In my opinion the Roman Empire was the greatest and most influential
scraplet1
scraplet1
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Visigoth Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:10 pm

The Roman Empire. It is probably the most influential Empire in history.
Visigoth
Visigoth
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Onward Painter X Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:51 pm

I think the British Empire had the largest landmass and arguably has the greatest influence but maybe that is because it the most recent.
Onward Painter X
Onward Painter X
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Malotun Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:16 pm

1.- Roman Empire
2.- Spanish Empire

I mean haha, as TheSaxon said:
Mira el idioma que estoy hablando, es romance y es español jajaja.

Yeah and also the romance languages have influenced very hard in the English language, come on! This "Germanic" language it is just 21% Germanic.

Ok, no more jokes, seriously culturally, military, socially and in every aspect I think that the "greatest" was the Roman empire. I think that at least for the moment this Empire have not comparison.
Malotun
Malotun
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidlVofGeorgia Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:54 pm

I would have to say the British empire. The Industrial Revolution and Enlightenment started in Britain and those two revolutions have changed the world more than anything else.

English is the worlds #1 second language and not latin. In terms of influence on modern day politics, you have to say the British Empire. Furthermore, British Empire 2.0, aka America, is still going strong.
DavidlVofGeorgia
DavidlVofGeorgia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:01 pm

If we are going by impact, then the list is:

1. British
2. Spanish
3. Mongolian

My reasoning here can be laid out in simple terms: The British and Spanish established dozens of nations, spread their languages to the corners of the globe, and through their policies either helped stabilize new countries or set the stage for long term conflicts that rage to this day.

As far as the Mongols go, while they didn't spread their language far and wide, they did lay the foundation for the Muscovite (and thus, Russian) tax code and legal system. They also helped stabilize the Silk Road, and one could argue that their spread helped carry the Black Plague to Europe which was a tremendous influence on human history.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Spiffy Creeper Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:03 pm

Plus the Spanish helped introduce the various diseases onto the unsuspecting Native population, thus changing the course of history.
The Spiffy Creeper
The Spiffy Creeper
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:09 pm

The Spiffy Creeper wrote:Plus the Spanish helped introduce the various diseases onto the unsuspecting Native population, thus changing the course of history.

Absolutely, in the same vein as what I was suggesting about the Mongols. The very fact of the Spanish, British, and Mongols being in a certain place helped shaped history, so I have to count them in high regard.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Capitalist Pig Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:44 am

It depends on what you mean for "greatest". As some have already said, the British Empire would be the obvious answer to this, because back at the time they were the largest empire to ever exist and the only superpower for decades. But, I don't agree with this. I actually rate the British Empire as the second "greatest" empire in history, and the Roman Empire as the first. That is so because the Roman Empire, back at its time, didn't simply rule the world, but WAS the world. When you thought of culture, economy, military, and everything else you could imagine, you thought of the Roman Empire. For centuries it had the absolute power, no nation could think of even being a match to it, in any way. It was even more of a superpower than the USA nowadays. Territorial extention calculated with mere numbers sees it behind the British Empire, but you must see it relatively: the Roman Empire existed TWO THOUSAND years before the British, and compared to the known world it covered nearly the 80/90% of it. I hope I made my point clear. Great question, by the way.
The Capitalist Pig
The Capitalist Pig
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Bowtie Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:24 am

The British Empire was the greatest simply because they where the biggest.

Bowtie
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bowtie Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:25 am

The Roman Empire is the coolest though.

Bowtie
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishanth128 Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:55 am

Rome comes as an obvious answer for me. They influenced an entire continent, even when a lot of their ways were lost people looked to Rome as a great power.

British comes up too. They influenced the world on a scale larger than Rome. They come second for me.
Nishanth128
Nishanth128
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by SixCrayfish8977 Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Probably the British Empire

SixCrayfish8977
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Which great empire of history would be considered the "greatest"? - Page 2 Empty The British Empire

Post by Medici Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:49 pm

I'd say the British Empire. Owned the most territory, and had an enormous economy which dominated the world. At their height in 1921, they were much larger than the Mongolian Empire in the 13th century. The British Empire was probably the greatest Empire ever.
Medici
Medici
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2