TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life in the Spanish colonies

3 posters

Go down

Life in the Spanish colonies Empty Life in the Spanish colonies

Post by CptCrape Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:52 pm

What was life like for the average person living in the colonies. I know the Spanish had a Colonial Caste system that differentiated people based on skin color, social class, and where they originated (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casta). But outside of that, what was the average life for a resident of the colonies like? What opportunities for work and schooling were available? How did they get around? How similar was life in colonies to life in Europe or elsewhere?
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Life in the Spanish colonies Empty Re: Life in the Spanish colonies

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:06 pm

I am from an ex-spanish colony, so i have always studied about this. The average person living in a spanish colony was a mestizo. At the beginning mestizos were treated pretty much like spaniards since white women were not numerous in the new world and white spaniards had to take what they had, during this time pretty much anyone exept for blacks and natives (i don't really know about asians since they were not really present at all in america and i don't know a lot about the philippines) could get a very important job, however life was hard and in some cases attacks by natives on settlers were pretty common.
In the later ages of spanish colonization, white women were alviable for white men and these two having children was the norm, this meant that the average person (mestizos) were considered "bastards" since no sane spanish man would marry an indian now and the average life of the average person was reduced to a terrible existance, horrible jobs, literally no schooling (most people were illiterate).
However, it is very difficult to answer your question perfectly, since different parts of the empire had different ways of life, for example, the people who inhabited today's Paraguay had a better existance since the jesuits took care of that region and they pretty much gave jobs, schooling and dignity to everyone living there, however, in the viceroyalty of Alto Peru the average person had a horrible life, complicated, tiring and cheap-paid jobs.
In few words, spanish colonies were the most backward colonies you could find in the entire world and the english/dutch/french ones were much better.
Dittatore_Signore_Massimo
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:09 pm

Also, Spain held a monopoly when it came to trade with it's colonies, this meant that only authorised ports could trade and they could only trade with Spain. This benefited Spain since no money would go out of the country, but it made the life of the people worse since they had less opportunities for both wealth and education.
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by CptCrape Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:11 pm

Dittatore_Signore_Massimo wrote:I am from an ex-spanish colony, so i have always studied about this. The average person living in a spanish colony was a mestizo. At the beginning mestizos were treated pretty much like spaniards since white women were not numerous in the new world and white spaniards had to take what they had, during this time pretty much anyone exept for blacks and natives (i don't really know about asians since they were not really present at all in america and i don't know a lot about the philippines) could get a very important job, however life was hard and in some cases attacks by natives on settlers were pretty common.
In the later ages of spanish colonization, white women were alviable for white men and these two having children was the norm, this meant that the average person (mestizos) were considered "bastards" since no sane spanish man would marry an indian now and the average life of the average person was reduced to a terrible existance, horrible jobs, literally no schooling (most people were illiterate).
However, it is very difficult to answer your question perfectly, since different parts of the empire had different ways of life, for example, the people who inhabited today's Paraguay had a better existance since the jesuits took care of that region and they pretty much gave jobs, schooling and dignity to everyone living there, however, in the viceroyalty of Alto Peru the average person had a horrible life, complicated, tiring and cheap-paid jobs.
In few words, spanish colonies were the most backward colonies you could find in the entire world and the english/dutch/french ones were much better.
Hmm, that would explain why former Spanish Colonies are much poorer than Canada and the USA. Also, from what i've heard, up until Independence the Spanish colonies were extremely sparsely populated, and largely rural.

By the way, thanks for the answer!
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:55 pm

No problem! if you want to know anything else about them ask me!
Also, the thing that you said about colonies being very rural is truth, however, they were not always sparsley populated, Mexico was very populated compared to Chile. If you want to find wich colonies were more populated then you have to search by yourself, all  know about population was that north american territories (exept for mexico and the caribbean), today's Argentina and Chile had practically no population and they had to resort to european immigration.
Life in the Spanish colonies Inmigr10
This photo shows Italian immigrants in Argentina (my family came in one of those boats Razz )
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by CptCrape Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Dittatore_Signore_Massimo wrote:No problem! if you want to know anything else about them ask me!
Also, the thing that you said about colonies being very rural is truth, however, they were not always sparsley populated, Mexico was very populated compared to Chile. If you want to find wich colonies were more populated then you have to search by yourself, all  know about population was that north american territories (exept for mexico and the caribbean), today's Argentina and Chile had practically no population and they had to resort to european immigration.
This photo shows Italian immigrants in Argentina (my family came in one of those boats Razz )
Apparently something like 60% of Argentina's population has at least some Italian Ancestry.
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:54 pm

CptCrape wrote:
Dittatore_Signore_Massimo wrote:No problem! if you want to know anything else about them ask me!
Apparently something like 60% of Argentina's population has at least some Italian Ancestry.

True, actually, i recently did a DNA test and i found out i am 53% italian, 11% Croatian slav, 29,% spaniard (mostly from basque region), 4% middle eastern and 3% native. If you go to Brazil, Chile, Argentina or Uruguay you would find out that this countrie's cultures are closer to central european/mediterranean than Mexican or Peruvian.
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Malotun Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:41 am

Actually The Southern Cone has proportionally the same(or almost the same) amount of White(Caucasians/Castizos) than The US or Canada Surprised

PS: How much cost a DNA test? as far as I know the price is around $100, hopefully I'm wrong.
Malotun
Malotun
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:39 am

Malotun wrote:Actually The Southern Cone has proportionally the same(or almost the same) amount of White(Caucasians/Castizos) than The US or Canada Surprised

PS: How much cost a DNA test? as far as I know the price is around $100, hopefully I'm wrong.

I bought it at a page called "MyHeritage DNA" for 69$, i got it in the united states since i have family there Razz
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Malotun Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:04 pm

You are damn lucky haha, sadly I have no family in the US, but at least it's cheaper than I thought.
Malotun
Malotun
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down