TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Alamo and Mexican American War

+2
Bowtie
rayturk
6 posters

Go down

The Alamo and Mexican American War Empty The Alamo and Mexican American War

Post by rayturk Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:30 pm

Please share thoughts on the Texan (or American) settlers' plunge into Mexican territory, the secession of the Republic of Texas, the Alamo and the subsequent Mexican American war. affraid
rayturk
rayturk
Pedes

Back to top Go down

The Alamo and Mexican American War Empty Re: The Alamo and Mexican American War

Post by Bowtie Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:09 am

Hindsight is always 20/20, but they should have left the Alamo after 10 or 12 days.

Bowtie
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletHistorian Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:34 am

In a nutshell...

Texas: Hey Mexico, you can't force us to speak Spanish, we're settlers from AMERICA!
Mexico tries to beat the snot out of Texas but the Texan decks Mexico
Texas: That's...for the alamo...

*later*

Texas throws a medium sized rock through mexico's window
Texas: HEY, YOU GONNA PAY FOR THAT?
Texas and USA laugh, merging in the process.
USA: Now to take some cores...

And then America beat the snot out of Mexico.
ScarletHistorian
ScarletHistorian
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rayturk Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:39 pm

*Victoria 2 Republic of Texas victory
rayturk
rayturk
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by The Spiffy Creeper Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:18 am

Dear god I would rather play as New England
The Spiffy Creeper
The Spiffy Creeper
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by The Spiffy Creeper Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:18 am

Which is actually pretty fun BTW. Africa is your friend
The Spiffy Creeper
The Spiffy Creeper
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:49 am

When americans were illegaly immigrating to Mexico and taking the mexican's jobs. They should have built a wall to stop the illegal american aliens. Laughing
Dittatore_Signore_Massimo
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Dittatore_Signore_Massimo wrote:When americans were illegaly immigrating to Mexico and taking the mexican's jobs. They should have built a wall to stop the illegal american aliens. Laughing

Then they would march to California, or sail south down the coast and burn Mexico City. Excellent sense of humor on your part, though!

Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Cold War Communist wrote:
Dittatore_Signore_Massimo wrote:When americans were illegaly immigrating to Mexico and taking the mexican's jobs. They should have built a wall to stop the illegal american aliens. Laughing

Then they would march to California, or sail south down the coast and burn Mexico City. Excellent sense of humor on your part, though!

I bet that any mexican wet dream is to recapture that land in the same way, with illegal immigration and burn DC to the ground, but that will never happen. Razz Razz Razz
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Dittatore_Signore_Massimo wrote:

I bet that any mexican wet dream is to recapture that land in the same way, with illegal immigration and burn DC to the ground, but that will never happen. Razz Razz Razz

Ha! If it is, then I assure you there won't be a need. D.C. is trying to burn itself to the ground. With that said though, this war is one I took a particular interest in. I admire James K. Polk's ability to get things done in office, and I also lose interest in American history right before, during, and for a while after the Civil War era. It just doesn't click for me.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Ha! If it is, then I assure you there won't be a need. D.C. is trying to burn itself to the ground. With that said though, this war is one I took a particular interest in. I admire James K. Polk's ability to get things done in office, and I also lose interest in American history right before, during, and for a while after the Civil War era. It just doesn't click for me.

Well, i really admire James K. Polk as a political leader, but i still don't understand how the US of A got away with taking that much land from a civilized country, i mean, imagine if the UK just decided to take half of France.
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:54 pm

My understanding is that Polk let his generals provoke the conflict by crossing the disputed border and entering what was considered Mexican territory. When Mexico attacked, the U.S. claimed that they were being fired upon "across the border", and used it as a sort of phony operation to retaliate.

From there, they tried to take as much land as possible (and succeeded). The war was not popular with Americans, though soldiers were treated as heroes upon their return.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Cold War Communist wrote:My understanding is that Polk let his generals provoke the conflict by crossing the disputed border and entering what was considered Mexican territory. When Mexico attacked, the U.S. claimed that they were being fired upon "across the border", and used it as a sort of phony operation to retaliate.

From there, they tried to take as much land as possible (and succeeded). The war was not popular with Americans, though soldiers were treated as heroes upon their return.

I guess that this was also Santa anna's fault, since he was a terrible leader.
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Cold War Communist wrote:My understanding is that Polk let his generals provoke the conflict by crossing the disputed border and entering what was considered Mexican territory. When Mexico attacked, the U.S. claimed that they were being fired upon "across the border", and used it as a sort of phony operation to retaliate.

For his part, he did everything he could to stop the invasion. It just wasn't going to happen. The U.S. was deadset on proving to the other powers that it was on the same level, and it chose to do so by kicking around Mexico. It didn't help that the country was reeling through civil wars as well.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:34 pm

For his part, he did everything he could to stop the invasion. It just wasn't going to happen. The U.S. was deadset on proving to the other powers that it was on the same level, and it chose to do so by kicking around Mexico. It didn't help that the country was reeling through civil wars as well.

True, Mexico was doomed anyway.
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down