TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conquest of the Desert

3 posters

Go down

Conquest of the Desert Empty Conquest of the Desert

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:54 pm

When the civil wars finished in Argentina, the state wished to expand it's borders, so General Julio Argentino Roca presented a project to end the natives constant pillage of settlements on the border and expand the national borders. In 1879 he led an army of around 6000 men to colonize southern indian land. Some say it was just a conquest and some say it was a genocide. What do you think about this?
Conquest of the Desert J_roca10
Conquest of the Desert Malon10
Conquest of the Desert Conqui10
Dittatore_Signore_Massimo
Optio

Back to top Go down

Conquest of the Desert Empty Re: Conquest of the Desert

Post by Malotun Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:21 am

Why no both?
I mean, it's a conquest and I think that it was in "self defense" due to be constantly attacked by Mapuches(that's like a war... doesn't it?), but also was kind of a genocide because, damn! the indigenous population in the east side of the Andes decreased a tonne and I've read that some of the survivors were used as slaves in the Capital Buenos Aires, being men separated of the women to prevent them to breed.(I don't think that slavery occurred during this period though, it was before, but still)
That also happened in Chile with the pacification of Araucania, it was a longer process tough, and less "violent", the indigenous population in Chile were not massively killed like in Argentina, In fact a lot of indigenous migrated AGAIN from Argentina to Chile(I said again because they were migrating from one country to another for a long time due to those wars, if I can call them like that)

But... I think that it was bad? no, definitely no, for my point of view it is just history, get over it. But I do understand the people who "hate" this period, some of them are liberals, some of them are real natives, don't care, they have their reasons.
Malotun
Malotun
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:20 am

Malotun wrote:Why no both?
I mean, it's a conquest and I think that it was in "self defense" due to be constantly attacked by Mapuches(that's like a war... doesn't it?), but also was kind of a genocide because, damn! the indigenous population in the east side of the Andes decreased a tonne and I've read that some of the survivors were used as slaves in the Capital Buenos Aires, being men separated of the women to prevent them to breed.(I don't think that slavery occurred during this period though, it was before, but still)
That also happened in Chile with the pacification of Araucania, it was a longer process tough, and less "violent", the indigenous population in Chile were not massively killed like in Argentina, In fact a lot of indigenous migrated AGAIN from Argentina to Chile(I said again because they were migrating from one country to another for a long time due to those wars, if I can call them like that)

But... I think that it was bad? no, definitely no, for my point of view it is just history, get over it. But I do understand the people who "hate" this period, some of them are liberals, some of them are real natives, don't care, they have their reasons.

Indeed, the past is the past, let just hope it doesn't happen again.
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by CptCrape Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:13 pm

The line between Conquest and Genocide is often blurred. In general, the losing side usually suffers.
CptCrape
CptCrape
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:22 pm

CptCrape wrote:The line between Conquest and Genocide is often blurred. In general, the losing side usually suffers.

Especially at that time, with the whole thing of the new ideas everything was very complicated.
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down