TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who do you Think the Most Important Caliphate is in History?

+3
BigMacArthur
Crazy Boris
eggcrate09
7 posters

Go down

Who do you Think the Most Important Caliphate is in History? Empty Who do you Think the Most Important Caliphate is in History?

Post by eggcrate09 Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:13 pm

Who do you believe the most important/influential/powerful Caliphate in world history is? There have been multiple Caliphates throughout history and I would like to hear what people have to say about their opinions. Please give reasons why you believe the Caliphate you chose is the most important. I believe that the Rashidun Caliphate is the most influential Caliphate in history as they laid the foundation for every other Caliphate along with taking large amounts of land away from the Persians and Byzantines in the Levant and Egypt

eggcrate09
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Who do you Think the Most Important Caliphate is in History? Empty Re: Who do you Think the Most Important Caliphate is in History?

Post by Crazy Boris Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:20 pm

Rashidun hands down. They basically laid the foundations for most of the Islamic world.
Crazy Boris
Crazy Boris
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Who do you Think the Most Important Caliphate is in History? Empty Re: Who do you Think the Most Important Caliphate is in History?

Post by BigMacArthur Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:18 pm

I think the Rashidun too. They conquered the Sassanid empire in a few years when it was only about 20 years old. The amazing and swift conquering of so much land in such a short time made Islam a strong force to be reckoned with.
BigMacArthur
BigMacArthur
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariestat 1666 Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:21 am

Rashidun Caliphate of course. The simple reason is because they 4 were the true caliphs, in one of the hadits prophet Muhammad said that a caliph should be chosen by some kind of election by the ulema( schoolars) called "The Shura Council". The later caliphate most likely be choosen by the line of the family( much more like a monarchy system in Europe)

Ariestat 1666
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorfinn Karlsefni Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:20 am

How about making a poll of the top 3 or 4? List the dates, main base (capital city), and top accomplishment/conquest/what each was known for (if you can fit all that on one line). I'd want to do some research before I vote. I always think the one based in Baghdad in the 700s must have been hugely influential, as their trade network included basically all of Eurasia and most of Africa. I guess that means I vote Rashidun too, since it was the foundation of the Baghdad Caliphate, but I don't know that much about them.

I have a hypothesis that the Viking Age got its start by a bunch of Verangian chieftans getting rich by trading with Baghdad in the 700s. I learned recently that the Scandinavians brought fine furs from the north to trade for silver - silver hoards are still occasionally uncovered in the Baltic Region with coins minted in the Caliphate. This trade appears to predate the "Viking Age" by up to half a century. The Roman world (including its European successors) had depleted its silver supply over a period of centuries by continual silk purchases, so the Scandinavians were lucky to find a trade partner with some real money. They had to travel quite a distance through some pretty rough country to obtain it too!

I also understand a lot of Western scholars consider the Caliphate based in Cordoba to have had a lasting impact on Western European culture, science, mathematics & such, but I couldn't build much of an argument myself.
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by ceaserkhan22 Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:54 pm

i'm just glad each has fallen
ceaserkhan22
ceaserkhan22
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by EmperorTigerstar Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:13 am

Rashidun, because it made Islam as big as it was today. I'd put the Ottomans as second.
EmperorTigerstar
EmperorTigerstar
Admin

https://terrahistoria.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down