TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Admiral Yi Sun-sin

+3
321gman
GeorgeIVofBritannia
Yamamoto
7 posters

Go down

Admiral Yi Sun-sin Empty Admiral Yi Sun-sin

Post by Yamamoto Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:10 pm

What are your opinions on Admiral Yi of Korea? Personally I think he's on par with or above that of Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson of the British Empire when it comes to military prowess and tactics as well as his struggles within a corrupt power system trying to do what is right being exemplary. My personal opinion is that without Admiral Yi, the Japanese would have rolled over the Koreans in their invasion and they likely wouldn't have withdrawn without a major push and counter-invasion from Ming China, which on it's own might not have been enough.
Yamamoto
Yamamoto
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Admiral Yi Sun-sin Empty Re: Admiral Yi Sun-sin

Post by GeorgeIVofBritannia Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:18 pm

Wait. What. Who? Yi? What asian name is that? He should get with the times. Asian names like those are like soooo old.
GeorgeIVofBritannia
GeorgeIVofBritannia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by 321gman Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:19 pm

The simple fact that he developed Turtle Ships, which are basically Ironclads, made the Japanese scared to sail when he was in the area, and then destroyed 200 ships of a fleet of 400-600, some say over 1000, with only 13, really 12, ships has to say something.
321gman
321gman
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Carl Hamilton Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:42 am

I first heard of Yi Sun-Sin when playing an old video game called Empires' Dawn of the Modern World. I became biased I think because i quite liked that game and i really liked the Korean campaign.

Either way, Admiral Yi was undoubtedly one of the best Asian tacticians in general and particularly the best Korean tactician ever in my opinion. It's a shame that so little media is made about him, the modern korean movie called "admiral" was pretty bad, didn't even go over his bigger battles and totally falsified the battle it depicted.
Carl Hamilton
Carl Hamilton
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Admiral Yi Sun-sin Empty He Was Very Nice

Post by NationStates Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:16 am

Yi Sun Shin was so war like. He defended his country, but died before even seeing Korea win the war and repel the Japanese.

RESPECT
NationStates
NationStates
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Johann Tserclaes Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:31 am

Extra Credits made a nice little series about him. He really was a genius.
Johann Tserclaes
Johann Tserclaes
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorfinn Karlsefni Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:01 pm

Johann, Tserclaes, thank you! I never heard about his early career! Wow, that dude overcame so much to become the man who would save his country! Korea owes him bigtime.
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum