TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why didn't Spain join WWII

+2
_Dewey
bigbuffalo313
6 posters

Go down

Why didn't Spain join WWII Empty Why didn't Spain join WWII

Post by bigbuffalo313 Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:13 am

If this topic already has a thread feel free to shut this one down.

I was wondering why Spain didn't join the Axis in WWII. They were a fascist country and were supported by both Hitler and Mussolini, so I was wondering why they kinda just abandoned them during the actual war itself.
bigbuffalo313
bigbuffalo313
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Why didn't Spain join WWII Empty Re: Why didn't Spain join WWII

Post by _Dewey Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:19 am

I don't really know much about the Spanish civil war itself, but i'm guessing it's probably because of that. Italy was already in no shape to be in a world war, Spain, just coming out of a devastating civil war would be less prepared. It'd be like expecting the US after the civil war to go to war with the British right away.
_Dewey
_Dewey
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by That_one_Praetor Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:00 am

Also Spain joining the war would have probably caused more trouble for the axis then it was worth it would have meant a massive extension to the atlantik wall which would have over stretched Germany and anything it could do in North Africa would quickly be reversed.
That_one_Praetor
That_one_Praetor
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbuffalo313 Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:49 am

That_one_Praetor wrote:Also Spain joining the war would have probably caused more trouble for the axis then it was worth it would have meant a massive extension to the atlantik wall which would have over stretched Germany and anything it could do in North Africa would quickly be reversed.

It probably wouldn't have been that massive an extension unless they decided to invade Portugal (which knowing the axis powers, probably would have happened). And how many German troops would really need to be there? It would have been Spain joining them, they could have taken care if themselves
bigbuffalo313
bigbuffalo313
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidlVofGeorgia Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:26 pm

Spain had a huge debt to Hitler. Hitler asked Spain to go to war. Spain responded by saying they would only go to war if Hitler forgot all Spanish debt. Hitler wouldn't do it so Spain stayed neutral.
DavidlVofGeorgia
DavidlVofGeorgia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kim Jong-un Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:18 pm

This is actually one of my favorite topics of discussion when it comes to how WWII could have turned out differently.

The main reason Franco decided to remain neutral throughout the war was that he didn't have the resources to wage war against the Allied Powers. Whereas the Allies were at the height of their power, had developed vast colonial support networks, and had virtually limitless resources at their disposal, the Spanish Empire has long collapsed and most of their former colonies were already looking to the United States for protection. To make matters worse, Franco had come to power through a costly civil war that had drained much of the country's resources.

Hitler did make multiple diplomatic overtures to persuade Franco to join the war. Franco even offered to do so if Germany would pay off the debts which had been due to Germany in return for Germany's assistance in the Spanish Civil War, but Hitler declined. In the end, Franco was smart enough to realize that his involvement in the war was unlikely to produce any favorable outcome and would probably end in the destruction of the Spanish nation.

As history unfolded, it became clear that Franco had made the right decision. The Axis powers were soundly crushed under the boot of the Allied juggernaut, and it was thanks to Spain's neutrality that Franco was allowed to continue to rule Spain until his death in 1975.
Kim Jong-un
Kim Jong-un
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeitgeist Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:00 pm

From what I understand, Spain was overcoming its issues from the Civil War. Hitler wanted help due to the fact that he sent pilots and troops to fight off Spanish Communists. Franco had no interest though, since Spain was in a state of rebuilding. There is a conspiracy that Franco actually delayed his train and talked in a high pitch to annoy Hitler and have him not be willing to want help from someone as annoying as that. As Hitler said, "I'd rather have 3 or 4 teeth pulled out then go through another meeting with [Franco] again," or something like that.

Source:
Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down