TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What if Austria-Hungary was Federalized?

5 posters

Go down

What if Austria-Hungary was Federalized? Empty What if Austria-Hungary was Federalized?

Post by SHAM00E Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:42 pm

You see this was an idea proposed in 1906 by a guy named Aurel Popovici which sought to Federalize the Austro-Hungarian Empire by making Semi-Autonomous states out of the different ethnic divisions of the empire.
SHAM00E
SHAM00E
Pedes

Back to top Go down

What if Austria-Hungary was Federalized? Empty Re: What if Austria-Hungary was Federalized?

Post by DukeOfTea Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:19 am

Presuming this Federation of Austria-Hungary still entered WW1, I think that the governments of many of these Autonomous states would host uprisings during the War, and join the Entente, just resulting in Austria-Hungary being destroyed during the war rather than after. This could also have crippling affects on their other fronts, and possibly opening up a south German front before 1918.
DukeOfTea
DukeOfTea
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

What if Austria-Hungary was Federalized? Empty Re: What if Austria-Hungary was Federalized?

Post by Mr Trolldemort Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Either way, if Austria-Hungary joined the war, it would still dissolve.

I think it could have survived if it did federalize during the world war, but then once numerous countries like Poland and Ukraine suddenly show up, it would cause a lot of tensions between them. Federations can either be really stable (Like Canada or Germany for example) to extremely unstable like Yugoslavia depending on the situation and I think Austria Hungary would end up being like the latter. A lot of compromise or force will be needed to keep each area from seceding, so who knows if they could pull it off.
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by BigMacArthur Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:12 pm

I would just like to bring up that Bosnia and Herzogovina did not rise up during the war, even though it started there.
BigMacArthur
BigMacArthur
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:24 am

I did not notice this topic until just now! If the Wmpire was federalized, my guess is that many of the regions would calm down and be more apt to move in harmony with Austria and Hungary. I base this belief in the fact that Franz Ferdinand was an advocate of federalizing the Empire in order to save it, and had the idea taken off sooner, he may have been able to succeed in maintaining peace and prevent the First World War. At least insofar as the war starting between Serbia and Austria-Hungary.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down