TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs France

+2
Mr Trolldemort
ceaserkhan22
6 posters

Go down

In its overall history which nation has more to be proud of

England vs France I_vote_lcap45%England vs France I_vote_rcap 45% 
[ 9 ]
England vs France I_vote_lcap55%England vs France I_vote_rcap 55% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 20

England vs France Empty England vs France

Post by ceaserkhan22 Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Possibly the greatest nation to nation rivalry in history, the English and French have been sworn enemies nearly constantly beginning with the territorial disputes in the aftermath of the Battle of Hasting to the final climactic battle between these two nations at the battle of Waterloo. This thread is to discuss this rivalry and the significant wars and shared history between them. To start it off, with its overall history which nation has more to be proud of England (U.K. included) or France?

Last edited by ceaserkhan22 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
ceaserkhan22
ceaserkhan22
Centurion

Back to top Go down

England vs France Empty Re: England vs France

Post by Mr Trolldemort Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:50 pm

Oof I thought this would be straightforward, but looking at the history, both nations have done a ton and both have won major battles. France was much more dominant early on, but starting in the 19th century, the UK started to get ahead. However, I think that in general, I would say France has done more to be proud of, especially when you consider European affairs.
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Malotun Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Both (?
Malotun
Malotun
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidlVofGeorgia Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:21 pm

France is responsible for the Paris Commune and the French Revolution which are fucking up our politics to this day. Anyone proud to be french is cancer.
DavidlVofGeorgia
DavidlVofGeorgia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Historyislove Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:56 am

So you aren't someone who's supports democracy?

Historyislove
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidlVofGeorgia Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Both those revolutions were undemocratic. I dare you to find a "Committee for Public Safety" that professionally kills citizens in any democracy.

And no, the Soviet Union was not a democracy.
DavidlVofGeorgia
DavidlVofGeorgia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Trolldemort Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:37 pm

DavidlVofGeorgia wrote:Both those revolutions were undemocratic. I dare you to find a "Committee for Public Safety" that professionally kills citizens in any democracy.

And no, the Soviet Union was not a democracy.

It's true the the French Revolution quickly transitioned from a democracy into anarchy into a brutal dictatorship during the reign of terror and eventually went back to an empire under Napoleon. However, without the revolution occurring, it is doubtful the democracy would ever spread further outside of the United States, and even then the revolution did a lot to inspire Americans for additional reforms in their system to expand suffrage during elections. The French revolution inspired millions of people in Europe during the 1800s to spread liberalism (which is much closer to libertarianism than modern day liberalism) and lead to several major reforms and ensured democracies would become the dominant form of government in the 20th century. Without it, I think Europe and most of the world would still remain absolute monarchies outside of a few minor constitutional monarchies like Britain, which would continue an oligarchy of the aristocracy, similarly to how it was until the late 1800s in our timeline.
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidlVofGeorgia Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:45 pm

Just because the French Revolution was romanticized as democratic and inspired democratic reforms does not mean that it itself was democratic or even that i was a good thing for the people who lived through it.
DavidlVofGeorgia
DavidlVofGeorgia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Historyislove Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Bit is that a reason to say that everyone who is proud to be French is cancer. Even napoleon brought something good to my country as he destroyed HRE and brought nationalism to Germany. Without napoleon Germany would have probably exist in 300 tiny states until today. Every bad has its good things.

Historyislove
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by ceaserkhan22 Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:40 am

I'm surprised how evenly this polled.
ceaserkhan22
ceaserkhan22
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Trolldemort Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:56 am

ceaserkhan22 wrote:I'm surprised how evenly this polled.

I don't find it that surprising, both had their ups and downs and there's so much history between each country so tons of arguments can be made for either side.
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Leon the Napoleon Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:17 am

DavidlVofGeorgia wrote:Just because the French Revolution was romanticized as democratic and inspired democratic reforms does not mean that it itself was democratic or even that i was a good thing for the people who lived through it.

The French Revolution itself was pure and for a good purpose. The ones who destroyed it were the Jacobins and Robespiere(I hope I pronounce that right) who took it to the extreme and slayed over 40.000 people. The Revolution itself brought democracy and freedom to the people of France and later whole Europe. With Napoleon's conquest the countries of Europe adopted the Napoleonc code which was the most democratic CONSTITUTION in Europe. Most countries didn't even have constitutions and were absolute monarchies. If you say that many people died in it then let me tell you this: People died for many stupid and selfish reasons and decisions of their monarchs. The happenings of the Revolution were(with a grain of salt) normal but the results were far more different for the better and the greater good.
Leon the Napoleon
Leon the Napoleon
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by ceaserkhan22 Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Anyone else somewhat annoyed that Croatia denied us an England vs. France World Cup final? Oh well, soccer is a stupid past time anyway.
ceaserkhan22
ceaserkhan22
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down