TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle?

+6
Francinze
JustJason
Cold War Communist
DavidlVofGeorgia
Adolf Francolini
NearWolf58
10 posters

Go down

What WW2 Battle interests you the most?

What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? I_vote_lcap46%What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? I_vote_rcap 46% 
[ 12 ]
What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? I_vote_lcap8%What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? I_vote_rcap 8% 
[ 2 ]
What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? I_vote_lcap15%What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? I_vote_rcap 15% 
[ 4 ]
What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? I_vote_lcap4%What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? I_vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? I_vote_lcap0%What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? I_vote_lcap27%What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? I_vote_rcap 27% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 26

Poll closed

What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? Empty What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle?

Post by NearWolf58 Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:47 pm

I always wondered what battle intrigues the people the most.
NearWolf58
NearWolf58
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? Empty Re: What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle?

Post by Adolf Francolini Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Stalingrad, because of its size, strategic importance, dense and complex fighting, and the events preceding and surrounding it. That said, Kursk is also really interesting.
Adolf Francolini
Adolf Francolini
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle? Empty Re: What is the most fasinating WW2 Battle?

Post by DavidlVofGeorgia Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Third battle of Kharkov or Warsaw Uprising. Can't decide.
DavidlVofGeorgia
DavidlVofGeorgia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Kursk.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by JustJason Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:49 pm

I feel like not enough people pay attention to Kursk, it being the largest Tank Battle in history.
JustJason
JustJason
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:20 pm

JustJason wrote:I feel like not enough people pay attention to Kursk, it being the largest Tank Battle in history.

Kursk has the misfortune of happening on the heels of Stalingrad and right before the invasion of Italy/the Italian Civil War in 1943-44. It's also easy to look pst because it was purely Germans and the Soviets, though it arguably was a more important battle than Stalingrad.

Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidlVofGeorgia Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:31 pm

I think it is forgotten mostly in the west.

Overall, Kursk showed that the German army still had a lot of kick in them by Summer 1943 (as did Kharkov part 3) and had the western allies landed in France a year early as Stalin wanted then they would have been driven back into the sea.
DavidlVofGeorgia
DavidlVofGeorgia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Francinze Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:31 am

I think Operation Husky (allied invasion of Sicily) is the most underrated of the whole war. It opened the long-waited Second Front and it found all the allied peoples (americans, english, french, czechs, polish, belgians, dutch, canadians, australians, new zealanders, indians, italians) fighting together.
And I am so sad it is always obscured by the D-day (I obviously know the difference of the numbers but think, it has been done 1 year before and it has been highly symbolic).
Francinze
Francinze
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by KingDario Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Probably the Battle of Castle Itter right at the end of the war, when American and German soldiers united to drive SS loyalist out of a castle they were held up in in Austria. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Castle_Itter
Friend of mine said there was a good book on it too https://www.amazon.com/Last-Battle-German-Soldiers-Joined/dp/0306822962
KingDario
KingDario
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by DuceMoosolini Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:37 pm

I'll second Castle Itter. The fact that it hasn't been made into a movie is a travesty.

It's importance is very underappreciated. The goal of the battle for the Americans was to liberate high-profile French prisoners, including politicians, leaders, and Clemenceau himself.

As the author of the book mentioned above said, "If the SS had managed to get into the castle and kill the French VIPs, the history of post-war France would have been radically different. These people... formulated the policies that carried France into the 21st Century. Had they died, who knows what would have happened?"
DuceMoosolini
DuceMoosolini
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by KingDario Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:06 pm

But Clemenceau was dead by like 1929. The Former French Prime ministers were Deladier and Reynaud, and yeh I'd be surprised if by 2020 there isn't a movie made about it.
KingDario
KingDario
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by DuceMoosolini Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:25 pm

KingDario wrote:But Clemenceau was dead by like 1929.

It was Clemenceau's son. My bad.
DuceMoosolini
DuceMoosolini
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kim Jong-un Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

Definitely operation Torch and the invasion of Italy in 1943. It was pretty much the first time the United States took an active, leading role in an overland military offensive during WWII, and the failure of the German intervention in Italy and the opening of a southern front against the Reich in 1945 contributed greatly to the success of the Allied invasion of Germany from the west.
Kim Jong-un
Kim Jong-un
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorfinn Karlsefni Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:49 am

I've probably spent as much time researching the Battle of the Bulge as Stalingrad. Both are so complex and vast. Obviously the Stalingrad/Caucasus offensive is an order of magnitude larger, and more important, but there are so many surprises surrounding the Ardenne Offensive and subsidiary attacks in the West such as a massive German air raid on allied military air fields on January 1, 1945, which (if memory serves) included the new jet powered Arrado bombers.
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down