TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish History

+4
Jcook311
Quixotical Skeptic
GeorgeIVofBritannia
IrishHistorian67
8 posters

Go down

Irish History Empty Irish History

Post by IrishHistorian67 Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:00 pm

If anyone would like to discuss the history of Ireland, modern or ancient, or of anything related to the island, please do! Whether you know it all or don't have any clue, please do discuss it and learn

IrishHistorian67
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Irish History Empty Re: Irish History

Post by GeorgeIVofBritannia Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:03 pm

What if the Irish Rebellion was crushed by the might of the British Empire.
GeorgeIVofBritannia
GeorgeIVofBritannia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by IrishHistorian67 Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:04 pm

Well to be fair the might of the British Empire did crush every Irish rebellion for 700 years, until 1921

Last edited by IrishHistorian67 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

IrishHistorian67
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by GeorgeIVofBritannia Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Yes I mean the 1921 rebellion.
GeorgeIVofBritannia
GeorgeIVofBritannia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by IrishHistorian67 Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Less of a rebellion and more of a three year war. I think it's very hard to ever see the British crushing that particular Irish movement. The entire island supported the rebels, and the Irish refused to fight on the British terms (guerilla tactics, executing spies etc) and they refused to do much as acknowledge British rule. As Eamon De Valera said at the time "we will defeat the British Empire by ignoring it"

IrishHistorian67
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Quixotical Skeptic Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:13 pm

GeorgeIVofBritannia wrote:Yes I mean the 1921 rebellion.
War of Independence my good sir Very Happy

Quixotical Skeptic
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by IrishHistorian67 Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:16 pm

Bang bang the man above me has it. The War of Independence, or the Black and Tan War as it is sometimes known as

IrishHistorian67
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcook311 Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:24 am

I heard recently that some grevances with the troubles are coming back up. Something about the government not keeps thier pardon of ex IRA members? Is this true?

Jcook311
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:05 pm

Jcook311 wrote:I heard recently that some grevances with the troubles are coming back up. Something about the government not keeps thier pardon of ex IRA members? Is this true?

Not sure about the pardon of ex IRA members, but I know that in order to create a coalition, Theresa May aligned with the Unionist party in North Ireland, which is in violation of some type of long-standing neutrality agreement to end The Troubles.

I am not an Irish history aficionado, but I know the general makeup of current events in the region.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Historyislove Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:53 pm

Does the northern Irish population still want to be a part of Ireland or do they accept that they are part of GB?

Historyislove
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:22 pm

Historyislove wrote:Does the northern Irish population still want to be a part of Ireland or do they accept that they are part of GB?

I want to preface by stating I don't have an insider's understanding of the situation. It's all based on what I've read (historically) and in current events. My understanding is that North Ireland still wants to be a part of Great Britain, but there has been a long-standing policy of neutrality on the issue by the British government in order to calm down the region due to "The Troubles".

It's interesting stuff. That neutrality was trampled this year to form a coalition in British parliament by the Tories. Also interesting stuff.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Trolldemort Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:31 pm

I believe historically, the case of Northern Ireland is quite an interesting case.

There are essentially two major groups in this area. There are the protestant group who tend to associate themselves as British (this is essentially what the DUP is, although historically they were the more extremist faction of this group) and the catholic part that associate as Irish and wish to unite with the rest of Ireland. Both groups are extremely large, but the protestants have had more influence and decided to stay with the UK. Of course, those who identified as Irish were very angry and terrorist groups started to emerge to force the UK to give Northern Ireland to the rest of Ireland. Then pro-British groups formed terrorists organizations to stop them and that caused the Troubles.

To keep both sides happy, the UK and Irish governments signed the Good Friday agreement promising to be neutral on issues concerning Northern Irish affairs and let them settle it themselves. And yes, the recent UK election coalition goes against this which will start causing problems in a few years, depending on how angry Irish nationalists become.
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:41 pm

^ Summed it up better than I could. Thank you!
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletHistorian Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:32 pm

The Irish wanted to live quietly. If it wasn't for the British, it would be a Gaelic wonderland.
ScarletHistorian
ScarletHistorian
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down