TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What if the vikings had permanent colonies in north america

4 posters

Go down

What if the vikings had permanent colonies in north america Empty What if the vikings had permanent colonies in north america

Post by Justinain Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:51 pm

What if the viking colonies never got into trouble with the native americans could they have survived and maybe even helped the american natives in turn of livestock and metal working.

The livestock might even have introduced small amounts of old world disease and saved the native population from colonial disease brought by the spaniards by building up some immunity
Justinain
Justinain
Pedes

Back to top Go down

What if the vikings had permanent colonies in north america Empty Re: What if the vikings had permanent colonies in north america

Post by Mr Trolldemort Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:20 pm

I think what would happen is if the viking colonies survived, we would get a case similar to Iceland for a few centuries.   It would develop a new language (I'm gonna call it Vinlandic after the original name of the colony) related to the other North Germanic languages but retaining some old features due to its isolation from the mainland.

I think like in our timeline, the Nordic countries would start to lose significant power by the 17th century, and the French and British would take over Vinland, which would now cover most of modern day Newfoundland and Labrador and some of Quebec with a significant Vinelandic population.  Then Canada would have to deal with 2 significant minority populations. It would also join Canada much sooner than in Newfoundland did, because they wouldn't be so keen being under direct British rule.  Basically, you would have another Quebec except instead of French it would be Vinlandic in the east of Canada.  There might be slightly less tension than with Quebec due to the smaller differences in culture, languages and relations between the initial host countries.
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

What if the vikings had permanent colonies in north america Empty Re: What if the vikings had permanent colonies in north america

Post by _Dewey Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:00 pm

Mr Trolldemort wrote:I think what would happen is if the viking colonies survived, we would get a case similar to Iceland for a few centuries.   It would develop a new language (I'm gonna call it Vinlandic after the original name of the colony) related to the other North Germanic languages but retaining some old features due to its isolation from the mainland.

I think like in our timeline, the Nordic countries would start to lose significant power by the 17th century, and the French and British would take over Vinland, which would now cover most of modern day Newfoundland and Labrador and some of Quebec with a significant Vinelandic population.  Then Canada would have to deal with 2 significant minority populations.  It would also join Canada much sooner than in Newfoundland did, because they wouldn't be so keen being under direct British rule.  Basically, you would have another Quebec except instead of French it would be Vinlandic in the east of Canada.  There might be slightly less tension than with Quebec due to the smaller differences in culture, languages and relations between the initial host countries.

I wonder if something similar to the Acadian deportation would have happened in Vinland too. If there was enough unrest, and they Vinlandic people didn't integrate the same way the Quebecois didn't, I could easily see an event like the deportation in Nova Scotia. I just don't know what the effects would be if the deportees ended up in other Danish/Scandinavian lands. If they stuck to their Scandinavian culture and language, Greenland and Iceland wouldn't be too different, but they could have fled to the Danish West Indies, or even the Danish Gold Coast in Africa. It'd definitely be interesting to see a viking-like culture in the Caribbean and on the coast of Africa. And who knows, this African-Vinlandic group could see the similar history that the Boers experience, though probably on a much smaller scale.
_Dewey
_Dewey
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorfinn Karlsefni Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:47 pm

Man, the caliber of thought exhibited by EmperorTigerstar's fan base continues to impress me! I never thought that the impact on history might have been so minor. I thought that if the Norse had settled Atlantic Canada in sufficient numbers to stave off defeat at the hands of the Native peoples it would touch off an economic explosion in Europe similar to that of the Columbian Exchange following 1492. But this scenario is much more sensible. Vinland might well have been another Iceland, on the fringes of Europe, and not really all that important compared to the Spanish Conquests of the 16th Century! Things might have gone more similarly to our timeline than I ever thought. Very thought provoking conversation!
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down