TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would happen If South Korea won the Korean War?

4 posters

Go down

What would happen If South Korea won the Korean War? Empty What would happen If South Korea won the Korean War?

Post by NearWolf58 Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:42 am

In the news you always here about North Korea. What if the South won the war. The only way I see this happening is that the Chinese don't give their support, or that the USA use nuclear weapons. What do you think about this.
NearWolf58
NearWolf58
Cornicen

Back to top Go down

What would happen If South Korea won the Korean War? Empty Re: What would happen If South Korea won the Korean War?

Post by DavidlVofGeorgia Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:15 pm

A note on China. China is surrounded by natural barriers. Pacific ocean, Southern Jungle, Himalayas, Central Asian mountain range, Gobi Desert.

The only way into China is through Manchuria. It is the way the Mongols invaded and it is the way that Japan invaded in the Second Sino-Japanese Wars.

It is unlikely that China would allow (even today) for a united Korea with strong American-Japanese ties.

Now, with the alternate history. We can suspect that China would throw its weight around and succeed in removing UN (mostly American) troops from Korea after the war. With less American involvement I believe Korea will remain a dictatorship up to the present day.

We know that Kim Ill Sung got permission to invade the south from Stalin himself. If the war was a massive failure then I believe Stalin would have died a failure and that Khrushchev would have been more successful in De-stalinization, bringing a swifter end to the Soviet Union.
Soviet leaders would be much less likely to support communist expansionist policies.

I suspect that a Korean victory would boost America commitment in the Second Indochina war leading to a South Vietnamese Victory. No Third Indochina war.

I don't know how this would effect the 1959 Tibetan Uprising or the current Chinese hostility towards the Dali Lama so if somebody is an expert on Tibetan history then such an analysis would be welcome.
DavidlVofGeorgia
DavidlVofGeorgia
Centurion

Back to top Go down

What would happen If South Korea won the Korean War? Empty Re: What would happen If South Korea won the Korean War?

Post by Mr Trolldemort Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:31 pm

DavidlVofGeorgia wrote:A note on China. China is surrounded by natural barriers. Pacific ocean, Southern Jungle, Himalayas, Central Asian mountain range, Gobi Desert.

The only way into China is through Manchuria. It is the way the Mongols invaded and it is the way that Japan invaded in the Second Sino-Japanese Wars.

It is unlikely that China would allow (even today) for a united Korea with strong American-Japanese ties.

Now, with the alternate history. We can suspect that China would throw its weight around and succeed in removing UN (mostly American) troops from Korea after the war. With less American involvement I believe Korea will remain a dictatorship up to the present day.

We know that Kim Ill Sung got permission to invade the south from Stalin himself. If the war was a massive failure then I believe Stalin would have died a failure and that Khrushchev would have been more successful in De-stalinization, bringing a swifter end to the Soviet Union.
Soviet leaders would be much less likely to support communist expansionist policies.

I suspect that a Korean victory would boost America commitment in the Second Indochina war leading to a South Vietnamese Victory. No Third Indochina war.

I don't know how this would effect the 1959 Tibetan Uprising or the current Chinese hostility towards the Dali Lama so if somebody is an expert on Tibetan history then such an analysis would be welcome.

I think the Tibetan invasion didn't have much to do with the Korean war. China (both the ROC and the PRC) claimed Tibet as part of China from the Qing dynasty, although Tibet was effectively independent since China became a republic and the breakdown of the central government. Had South Korea won the war, it could be possible that the UN and the USA try to stop china from invading Tibet, but highly doubt that would occur, because we know from our timeline China was and still has an immense army and would have Soviet support, so I don't think they would risk it again, and even then it's doubtful they could stop the invasion.
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cold War Communist Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Actually, the U.S. did mount a failed attempt to "save" Tibet. They airdropped Tibetan nationalists into the land to try and fend off the Chinese, which was a spectacular failure. Apparently, everyone missed the fact that you have to train people to fight before you can parachute them into active combat.

Personally I think of Tibet as an occupied nation but as an independent one. China also treats them in a semi-autonomous manner. With that said, I think the world couldn't care less about Tibet with regards to the Korean War.

If the South did win, it would be a huge insult to the Soviet Union, as well as a costly investment to finish the job. There's a reason why the combined forces of the West stopped and went to negotiate. It would have been a Pyrrhic victory at best. At worst, it ramps up the next war because each side is concerned they might lose.
Cold War Communist
Cold War Communist
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down