TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest German Ruler

+4
Dittatore_Signore_Massimo
Mr Trolldemort
Crazy Boris
ceaserkhan22
8 posters

Go down

Who Was The Greatest German Ruler

Greatest German Ruler I_vote_lcap0%Greatest German Ruler I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Greatest German Ruler I_vote_lcap8%Greatest German Ruler I_vote_rcap 8% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Greatest German Ruler I_vote_lcap50%Greatest German Ruler I_vote_rcap 50% 
[ 6 ]
[ 1 ]
Greatest German Ruler I_vote_lcap25%Greatest German Ruler I_vote_rcap 25% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 12

Greatest German Ruler Empty Greatest German Ruler

Post by ceaserkhan22 Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:38 pm

Beginning with the foundations that the Frankish Empire laid for the first German nation state, to the Holy Roman Empire, to the Prussian and German empires, and finally with the third Reich, which German ruler was the greatest of them all?
ceaserkhan22
ceaserkhan22
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Greatest German Ruler Empty Re: Greatest German Ruler

Post by Crazy Boris Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:44 pm

Bismarck!

But since he's not an option, Frederick the Great
Crazy Boris
Crazy Boris
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Trolldemort Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Surprised Bismark isn't here, but I think Charlemagne gets my vote by uniting France, Germany and most of Italy under his rule and beginning a Carolingian Renaissance.
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dittatore_Signore_Massimo Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Frederick!
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by ceaserkhan22 Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Crazy Boris wrote:Bismarck!

But since he's not an option, Frederick the Great

Bismarck was never a german ruler. He was chancellor to german rulers (Wilhelm I & II, Friedrich III)
ceaserkhan22
ceaserkhan22
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by mayexplains Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:11 pm

I know Hitler is strongly disfavored but the fact that he had such a high approval rating amongst the German people and did so well to sweep up Europe in the first part of the war, putting his people first, for his people, makes him imo the greatest german leader.
mayexplains
mayexplains
Pedes

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74AlH7-Fr6ylDvMJ2g3mBg

Back to top Go down

Post by DuceMoosolini Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:32 pm

Frederick the Great, hands down. This is the man who turned Prussia into a serious central European power, making it possible for German unification a little over a century later. Later, during the Seven Years' War, he fought off the combined forces of Russia, Austria, and France. Sure, much of his success is more attributable to the excellent training of Prussian soldiers and the disorganization of his enemies than it is to Frederick's skills as a general. But his military achievements aren't anything to sneeze at.

He is also one of the more famous Enlightenment monarchs, demonstrating a love of philosophy and an almost dangerous disdain for organized religion. He was very skilled at adopting liberal and meritocratic reforms while also maintaining his absolutist power. He had a decently shrewd mind for economics, as shown by his efforts to build a porcelain industry.

On a side note, I read Tim Blanning's book about him, which was quite good. But part of it interestingly presented quite a bit of evidence that Frederick may have been a homosexual. I might end up starting a historical debate thread on that one.

(PS: where tf is Bismarck? He's my #2)
DuceMoosolini
DuceMoosolini
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by DuceMoosolini Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:33 pm

mayexplains wrote:I know Hitler is strongly disfavored but the fact that he had such a high approval rating amongst the German people and did so well to sweep up Europe in the first part of the war, putting his people first, for his people, makes him imo the greatest german leader.

I've said this elsewhere, but I think if Hitler left office before 1939, he'd actually be remembered positively.
DuceMoosolini
DuceMoosolini
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by ceaserkhan22 Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:45 pm

@DuceMoosolini
@Mr Trolldemort
@Crazy Boris
@Eveyone else asking where Bismarck is

Otto von Bismarck was not a german ruler, he was the chancellor to german emperors who were german rulers.

ceaserkhan22
ceaserkhan22
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Trolldemort Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:48 pm

ceaserkhan22 wrote:@DuceMoosolini
@Mr Trolldemort
@Crazy Boris

Otto von Bismarck was not a german ruler, he was the chancellor to german emperors who were german rulers.

True, technically he was under the Monarchs control, but he arguably had much more influence on German politics and policy than Wilhelm I ever had to the point that the monarch was nearly a figurehead during his tenure. It's like saying none of the prime ministers of the UK ever ruled because of the King or Queen of England.
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by DuceMoosolini Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:53 pm

@Mr Trolldemort
@Crazy Boris

I still think he should count. Bismarck had a huge amount of influence on German politics, even if he was just a chancellor. He successfully instituted male suffrage and put together one of the world's first welfare systems. Those were his ideas. Also, most of Germany's foreign policy was dictated by him, which is why he gets primary credit for German reunification and the victories against France and Austria.
DuceMoosolini
DuceMoosolini
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by ceaserkhan22 Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Mr Trolldemort wrote:
@Mr Trolldemort
@Crazy Boris

True, technically he was under the Monarchs control, but he arguably had much more influence on German politics and policy than Wilhelm I ever had to the point that the monarch was nearly a figurehead during his tenure.  It's like saying none of the prime ministers of the UK ever ruled because of the King or Queen of England.

Yes, but the German Kaiser had far more power then today's British Monarchs. In fact, in the end, Bismarck resigned at the insistence of Kaiser Wilhelm II. In most parliamentary state systems such as the U.K., the head of government depends on parliamentary majority and can form coalitions to ensure their policies get enacted, while in 19th century Germany, the Chancellor depended on the confidence of the Emperor alone to enact policy.
ceaserkhan22
ceaserkhan22
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by ceaserkhan22 Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:21 pm

DuceMoosolini wrote:
@Mr Trolldemort
@Crazy Boris

I still think he should count. Bismarck had a huge amount of influence on German politics, even if he was just a chancellor. He successfully instituted male suffrage and put together one of the world's first welfare systems. Those were his ideas. Also, most of Germany's foreign policy was dictated by him, which is why he gets primary credit for German reunification and the victories against France and Austria.

I don't disagree that Bismarck was a geopolitical genius, and probably more then anyone else should get credit for German unification. And yes he was more instrumental then his Kaisers for the most part, but i stand by the fact that since he did not ultimately have the highest authority as he was subordinate to the Emperor, he cannot be considered a german ruler. A brilliant geopolitical engineer? Yes, a ruler? No.
ceaserkhan22
ceaserkhan22
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by mayexplains Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:40 pm

DuceMoosolini wrote:
mayexplains wrote:I know Hitler is strongly disfavored but the fact that he had such a high approval rating amongst the German people and did so well to sweep up Europe in the first part of the war, putting his people first, for his people, makes him imo the greatest german leader.

I've said this elsewhere, but I think if Hitler left office before 1939, he'd actually be remembered positively.  

Agreed
mayexplains
mayexplains
Pedes

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74AlH7-Fr6ylDvMJ2g3mBg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brusilov Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:57 am

Wilhelm I. (together with Otto von Bismarck) united Germany within 10 years of his reign. From 1861 to 1871 he won a war against the Danes, the Austrians and their allies ( which held more then half of german territory today), and the Second French Empire under Napoleon III.
Without him, Germany could've been a geographical mess until this day.
Brusilov
Brusilov
Centurion

http://steamcommunity.com/id/MemeExamination/

Back to top Go down

Post by Koopinator Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Arminius
Koopinator
Koopinator
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by ceaserkhan22 Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Koopinator wrote:Arminius

If you could put more then 10 options on the list i probably would've listed Arminius. There were many great leaders of germanic tribes pre fall of rome (Alaric, Gaiseric, Ballomar, Arminius, etc...), but i think they should go on a "pre-clovis" list. I started with Clovis since he really began the concept of a united germanic nation state, as opposed to a confederation of independant germanic tribes, and starting with Clovis the lineage of the identity of what we now know as Germany had its geopolitical beginning.
ceaserkhan22
ceaserkhan22
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down