TERRA HISTORIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst US President?

+4
Yamamoto
Mr Trolldemort
Thorfinn Karlsefni
DuceMoosolini
8 posters

Go down

Worst US President?

Worst US President? I_vote_lcap9%Worst US President? I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]
Worst US President? I_vote_lcap18%Worst US President? I_vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
Worst US President? I_vote_lcap0%Worst US President? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
Worst US President? I_vote_lcap27%Worst US President? I_vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]
Worst US President? I_vote_lcap27%Worst US President? I_vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 11

Worst US President? Empty Worst US President?

Post by DuceMoosolini Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:05 am

I'm kinda surprised we don't have one of these yet. Toss in your two cents!
DuceMoosolini
DuceMoosolini
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Worst US President? Empty Re: Worst US President?

Post by Thorfinn Karlsefni Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:27 am

Woodrow Wilson. So. Many. Reasons. (All of which get swept under the rug since Adolf Hitler made everyone believe Germany was also evil in the First World War.)
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Trolldemort Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:46 am

my analysis of each of the choices

Andrew Jackson: Fairly overrated in my opinion and he did a lot of terrible things (How he dealt with Native Americans, dismantling the bank of the USA, etc) while still doing a few notable things such as increasing trade with the rest of the world and his stance against state secession.

James Buchanan: Notable only for doing barely anything to stop the conflict over slavery, he is definitely one of the worst around (I voted for him on this poll)

Woodrow Wilson: Despite his good intentions, such as his plans for an international organization that become the League of Nations and his progressive views domestically, he was hindered by the Senate and couldn't get the US to join and suffered a stroke that left him incapacitated during the second half of if second term.

George W. Bush: Made the US a laughing stock during his presidency and had an extremely terrible foreign policy that has had repercussions to this day. Has led to a general decline of US influence (more on that later). I would have voted for him in this poll if James Buchanan wasn't there.

Herbert Hoover: Basically the wrong guy for the wrong time. He continued the laissez-faire policies of the previous presidents during the 1920s, but then the stock market crashes and the Great Depression started. By the time he changed gears, it was too little too late and he lost in a landslide against FDR.

Richard Nixon: Did some good things (such as improving China-US relations, which ended up being extremely crucial in the modern era) and finally pulled the US out of Vietnam to prevent further protests and casualties, but did a lot of shady stuff (Watergate) that caught up to him and he is still the only president (so far) who has resigned as President.

Barrack Obama: Of course a lot of people on the left and right hate him for his policies, but he did improve America's reputation and his form of healthcare, while way less than the rest of the developed world, has helped millions of Americans despite criticism from many. Basically a middle of the road guy. I think he will be a fairly unknown President in the future, because he didn't really do anything particularly impressive or good, but nothing really bad either. But, he still continued the trend of America's decline as he did little to stop Russia from invading Crimea and his policies regarding Libya and Syria have not been very good either. Also despite his best efforts, political polarization has increased to levels unheard of since the 1960s and even on the eve of the Civil war.

Donald Trump: Oh boy...still early to tell, but the way things look, the USA is gonna lost all prestige and credibility it's ever had. His domestic policies have been horrendous and has divided Americans in literally everything, even things that were never partisan issues. Foreign policy has been a disaster, as his "hard line" stance isn't being taken seriously by anyone, which just further shows the weakness of America on the international stage recently. Had the policies from Bush had not happened, perhaps it could have worked but Trump just shows America is a much different place than it was 17 years ago.

Too lazy to do others, but I think the only ones I would consider to be some of the "worst" presidents here would be Buchanan, Bush Hoover and (like I said early to say) Trump.
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Yamamoto Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:16 pm

These are interesting choices for worst president in United States history, the only ones on here that I think are deserving to be in the poll in George W. Bush, James Buchanan, and Richard Nixon. I think you should have put Andrew Johnson, Ulysses S. Grant, Warren G. Harding, Franklin Pierce, Calvin Coolidge, and Jimmy Carter on here in place of the others. Then you'd have a real slug fest for worst of the worst.
Jackson, Wilson, Hoover, and Obama don't deserve to be on here and as Trump is currently still in his first year we cannot tell as of yet what his effects on history will be, the same can be said for another reason Obama shouldn't be on this list.
Yamamoto
Yamamoto
Pedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorfinn Karlsefni Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:43 pm

Yamamoto wrote: ...Obama shouldn't be on this list.
Are you really from Japan? I can understand that then. Here is the U.S. Obama was racially polarizing. I do not remember any other President in my lifetime who actually made race relations worse in this country. We were pretty darn good under Clinton and Bush. Blacks were, to some degree, idolized by a large subculture of whites. There was a South Park episode about it. Probably more than one, but one in particular where the narrative by Chef (I believe) explains how blacks have tried to stay one step ahead of whites in their efforts to imitate the urban "cool" black. Was it a stereotype? I suppose. If you can call it that. But those days are gone now. Sad Now we have Black Lives Matter and Antifa. We have the punch-a-nazi movement, and its counterparts on the right. Progress has been lost. I can and do lay all of that at Barrack Obama's doorstep. Almost 70 million Americans voted for him in 2008, that's six million more than had ever voted for anyone for President. There were mass celebrations in major cities. Again, those days are gone now. It was Obama's leadership that made everyone think in terms of race again, and not in sense of "we have come so far" but in the sense of, "whites are bad." It should have come as no surprise considering Obama spent 23 years in Jeremiah Wright's "church" learning to hate America every Sunday. The Sunday after 9/11 that jerk preached a sermon that culminated, "...not God bless America, God damn America!" Sad
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Thorfinn Karlsefni
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy Boris Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:27 pm

Franklin Pierce.

Pierce's decision to pass the Kansas-Nebraska Act basically threw pro- and anti- slavery tensions to their (second) worst point, starting up Bleeding Kansas, aka Civil War: the prequel, but his personal life was so horribly depressing (all his kids died horribly, his marriage was a failure, he had a drinking problem), I feel bad for him, however, I won't let that excuse his bad performance as president. He basically made the civil war inevitable.
Crazy Boris
Crazy Boris
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by DuceMoosolini Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Yamamoto wrote:I think you should have put Andrew Johnson, Ulysses S. Grant, Warren G. Harding, Franklin Pierce, Calvin Coolidge, and Jimmy Carter on here in place of the others. Then you'd have a real slug fest for worst of the worst.
Jackson, Wilson, Hoover, and Obama don't deserve to be on here and as Trump is currently still in his first year we cannot tell as of yet what his effects on history will be, the same can be said for another reason Obama shouldn't be on this list.

I'll share my reasoning for the poll choices...

--Jackson 100% deserves to be here. Indian removal, which some would go so far as to call ethnic cleansing, is a crime which lies at the core of his legacy. The most infamous event in that era was the Trail of Tears. He ordered all of this in defiance of the Supreme Court. Not only that, but he was a staunch anti-abolitionist, and his policies arguably kicked off the Panic of 1837. He's only a good president if you ignore the giant pile of corpses.

--Wilson also deserves to be here. He's my personal #3 on the Worst list. Why? Because today's Wilson-lovers like to forget that he was an aggressive racist and an unashamed tyrant. His hatred toward blacks was only matched by his hatred for what he called "hyphenated Americans" like German and Irish immigrants. He segregated the federal government, even going so far as to ban blacks from government restrooms. Toxic race relations led to riots in major cities. Meanwhile, Wilson helped campaign for the Sedition Act, which sought to suppress "disloyal and abusive" language towards the government. He hated our Constitution's limitations on federal power and wanted to build a government on Social Darwinist principles. Women's suffrage? You can thank his wife for that; Wilson was in sickbed, allowing his wife to control who met with him. WWI? We're supposed to celebrate a man who brought us into a meat-grinder war for no reason and with no gain? 117,000 soldiers died, and we got nothing but a slight prestige boost. Screw that.

--Hoover. Yeah, I don't personally see him as a contender for the Worst list. But a lot of other people do, enough to make me feel obliged to include him.

--Obama and Trump are both VERY controversial, and almost everyone has strong opinions about them. They also seemed to be obligatory.

--As for your suggestions, the only one I'd think of including would be Johnson. I don't really hate Carter, since much of the terribleness about his term came from outside sources, and he's also a pretty cool guy. Still, I might have included him if I had another two slots. Harding was not complicit in corruption; he just chose bad friends. I don't really have strong feelings about Pierce or Coolidge. Grant was ineffectual, but not enough for me to consider for a Worst list.
DuceMoosolini
DuceMoosolini
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Trolldemort Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:09 pm

I dont consider controversial to be the same as worst. All of these people are to some extant controversial (well except Buchanan cuz he did literally nothing). Even Bush and Nixon had their fair share of supporters when they were in power and for some years afterwards. Time will tell how people think of Obama and Trump. I still consider them to be merely symptoms of events and culture dating from at least the 1980s and the realignment in US politics under Reagan and in some aspects even older than that. The fact is currently who we consider good are bad are merely based on party lines over actual events that happened, but its always been that way whether we admit it or not. We forget that people who are considered the greatest like George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and the Roosevelts had lots of criticism in their time and its normal. I think Obama and Trump are still too recent in our minds to be considered bad for now.
Mr Trolldemort
Mr Trolldemort
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by DuceMoosolini Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Mr Trolldemort wrote:I dont consider controversial to be the same as worst.  All of these people are to some extant controversial (well except Buchanan cuz he did literally nothing).  Even Bush and Nixon had their fair share of supporters when they were in power and for some years afterwards.  Time will tell how people think of Obama and Trump.  I still consider them to be merely symptoms of events and culture dating from at least the 1980s and the realignment in US politics under Reagan and in some aspects even older than that.  The fact is currently who we consider good are bad are merely based on party lines over actual events that happened, but its always been that way whether we admit it or not.  We forget that people who are considered the greatest like George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and the Roosevelts had lots of criticism in their time and its normal.  I think Obama and Trump are still too recent in our minds to be considered bad for now.

I didn't say I put them here because I felt like they could be the worst in history. I said I put them here because the furious opinions about both made me feel like it would be wrong to omit them. (and people have already voted for both)
DuceMoosolini
DuceMoosolini
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Koopinator Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:47 am

I'd say that George Washington was the worst president, Because none of these presidents would've been president without him. And we wouldn't have this entire Imperial vs Metric ordeal.
Koopinator
Koopinator
Optio

Back to top Go down

Post by ceaserkhan22 Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:52 pm

LBJ has gotta be near the top of this list
ceaserkhan22
ceaserkhan22
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by EmperorTigerstar Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:14 am

Trump, but it's unfair because his presidency isn't over yet. So Buchanan.
EmperorTigerstar
EmperorTigerstar
Admin

https://terrahistoria.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down